Beer with way too strong taste of hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papamike

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, and a new home brewer too. I've made my first all grain beer (red ale) 3 weeks ago. I'm pretty sure I'm ok with the amount of hops I added to it compared to the recipe but, this beer taste ONLY hops and nothing else! I like strongly hopped beers, but this one, I can't even think of having a full glass of it. I know you will probably say "You added too much hops", but I wanted to know if there is something else that could make this very bitter taste. I used hops pellets.
Thanks for your help.

Hops bitterness will fade over time. Let it age a while.

What's your recipe?

It a Red Ale. Here's the recipe:
3,00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2,0 SRM) Grain
1,00 kg Munich Malt - 30/35L (30,0 SRM) Grain
0,20 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2,0 SRM) Grain
0,20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80,0 SRM) Grain
0,20 kg Wheat, Flaked (1,6 SRM) Grain
0,05 kg Roasted Barley (300,0 SRM) Grain

Hops:
12,50 gm Galena [10,10%] (60 min)
12,50 gm Cascade 7.4 [7,40%] (60 min)
12,50 gm Cascade 7.4 [7,40%] (10 min)
0,25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10,0 min)
25,00 gm Williamette [6,00%] (5 min)

I forgot the irish moss. I noticed that all the hops was floating in the wort so I had alot of hop particules into my primary fermetor. Could it be my problem? The fermentation went well I think. The beer has a nice color and it is now pretty clear. You think the bitterness will fade with time? Alot?

No, hops in the fermenter aren't going to make any trouble.

This was a 5 gallon batch, I'm assuming?

The estimated IBU is 35,3. I was not thinking to have a smooth beer with that IBU, but not as bitter as it.

I get a similar number for IBUs with BeerTools. It's quite a bit more hoppy than the style guidelines allow, but the recipe isn't over the top or anything.

I'm surprised it tastes extremely hoppy. But the hops will fade quite a bit over time. How much time, I'm not sure.

What is your OG and FG?

Should I put the pellet into a bag? The problem is that I'm brewing a new batch (Altbier) next weekend, and I'm affraid to put too much hops in it. Anyway. I'll try and see what happen. Thanks for your help Rick500.

Gravity's not way off, either.

Is it too much hops flavor, or too much hops bitterness that's the problem?

You're not adding a whole lot of gypsum to the water, are you?

A hops bag, I guess, would cut down a very small degree on the hops utilization, but not very much.

Too much hops bitterness. The after taste is very bitter. No I don't add gypsum. Should I?

1 week primary, 2 week secondary. It's not carbonated yet. Could the carbonation change the taste that much?

A few days? Hell, let them bottle for a few WEEKS. Especially if its over hoppy, then letting it sit will help mellow them flavors out a bit.

Although it requires more patience than I can often give, I usually go 2 or 3 weeks primary, 2 - 4 weeks secondary, and 2 weeks + in the bottle to condition. It also helps to "forget" about your beer cause its two fold... you get the joy of going "Oh yeah! I have THAT beer!" AND it gets aged nicely as well as the turmoil of waiting for the beer.

My last IPA was extremely hoppy also, prior to bottling. After 3 weeks in the bottle, it was better, but still very bitter after taste and they were gushers. I took the advice of these folks in here and put them in the fridge for 48 hours. It made a huge difference. The beer came out clear, no gushing and while still heavy on the hop flavor, it had mellowed dramatically. I think after another week or two in the fridge it will be perfect. If this place has taught me one thing, it is that patience makes for a better brew.

Thank you Makeyermark, very encouraging. I'll keg it and put it in fridge and wait to see what happen. Thanks to all of you! Will keep you updated!

green non carbed beer ... let it age a little . I taste the beer when I take samples but I never judge the flavor til its been in the keg at least 2 weeks and thats on top of 3-4 weeks in the primary..

Latest posts

Back