High Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrapulencePants

Reaction score
I've made about fifteen or so batches now and almost every single one has been high on the FG. I can hit the OG almost perfectly every time but my FG is almost .06 off. If I'm aiming for 1.019 I get 1.024 etc. I'm always high. I do extract and ferment @ roughly 65. Out of 15 or 16 batches only two have hit the FG. Is it a problem or am I worrying over nothing much?

Are you using the same brand of extract for each batch? There is a large variation in fermentability between different extracts. I'd swap to a different brand and see if that helps. Also, find the palest extract (they tend to ferment better).

Are you using the same brand of extract for each batch? There is a large variation in fermentability between different extracts. I'd swap to a different brand and see if that helps. Also, find the palest extract (they tend to ferment better).

Same malt every time. Supply shop only sells one brand LME.

That's probably it. I usually use the same LME in my partial mashes and the more LME in the recipe, the higher my FG ends up being. I just create my recipes to take it into account. Just make sure you're really done fermenting and give it another week or two to make sure before you bottle. If it's still got some fermenting to do you could end up with overcarbed beer or exploding bottles from bottling too soon.

Back