Anyone out there brew smaller than 5 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfstar

Reaction score
Planning on starting a couple more batches this weekend, another Apfelwein and likely my first all grain. I plan on using a modified tamale steaming pot for mash/lauter tun.
I have been brewing 2.5 gallon batches in large glass jars that I get from a supermarket in the nearest town. I don't mind the extra work (basically twice as much as for a single 5 gallon) because I get to experiment more. Right now I have 4 beers under my belt, 3 Edwort Apfewein variations, and one mead.
3 2.5 gallon fermenters, adding another this weekend. Multiple 1 gallon carboys that I use for secondary. Picking up a rolling kitchen cart from Ikea that will serve as a stand/storage for fermentaion. I have been using swamp cooler method for cooling. Anyone else out there like smaller batches? Ideas?!

I dont see anything wrong with doing it that way. Like you said its more work but that's about it.

I do 1 gallon, 2 gallon, 3 gallon, 5 gallon, and ~5.5 gallon batches. With wine, I've only done bucket primaries so far with glass secondaries, tertiaries, etc. With beer, I've only done one batch in a bucket and all the others in glass. Let the good times roll!

space and equiptement considerations make 2.5 gallon batches (10L) the norm for me here in Japan. In fact, I have never done a 5 gallon batch.

I've got a 2 gallon mash tun and a 1 gallon growler for making small sample batches of any beer recipe I'm in doubt about.

I do 2.5 gal batches because I don't have a 7-10 gal boil kettle. Works out just fine.

It might be sad having half the beer for all the work, but I don't have to wait between batches to free up bottles, so technically I can brew more.

I started on a Mr. Beer, and while I now have a 5 gallon setup, I'm keeping the littler one for experimental things, more expensive recipes, things I wouldn't want to drink in large quantities, or just for being able to do high gravity beers in six gallon stovetop mashing. It's good to have options.

Usually 5-6, but I helped a friend brew 4 gallons this past weekend.

Yeah, I have a Mr. Beer as well as several 5+ gallon fermenters, and since I don't anticipate needing 2 cases of barleywine, the 2.13 gallons in the Mr. Beer is a great size.

I've been thinking of doing a few smaller batches. I think it's a great idea for experimentation. It also would give me something to do when I have my big fermentors filled up.

I also question whether it's really as much work as a 5 gal. batch. The waiting times would be the same (mashing, sparging, steeping, boil). But waiting isn't really work. It seems when I'm doing 5 gals I keep moving things around in the kitchen so I have room to work. I'd think there would be less of that in a 2.5 gal batch. Plus you only have to bottle half as many bottles.

I use Mr. Beer fermenters along with my 6 gallon Better Bottles. Brewing in smaller batches is great for a brewer like myself who is still on the learning curve and likes to try a variety of styles, techniques, etc.

I wish someone would market a 3 gallon fermenter of Better Bottle quality but shaped like a Mr. Beer keg. It would fit places pails and carboys don't.

I just put together a 3 gal hefe. I like some wheat beers, and really dislike others, so I figured I'd go small until I figured out how to make the style I like.

I've been wanting to do 2.5 or 3 gallon batches too. It would be nicer if I had some smaller kegs, but smaller batches means more brewing without making too much beer, and gets me more practice and experimentation. I may need to build some shelves in the basement again though. For fermentation control.

I do 1 and 3 gallon batches exclusively. The 1 gallons are for apfelwein, and the 3 gallon for ales. Since I don't drink more than 3-4 beers a week, it allows me to brew more often! The batches are cheaper too :) Same amount of work (except bottling), but that adds to experience I suppose. Also get to do full boils without worries.

I've been thinking about doing 3 gallon batches with a single 3.3 can of lme and an ounce of hops for a quick and easy bitter or table beer. Also I can full boil 3 gallons with my dinky pots.

Latest posts

Back