Fermenting in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WDMBrewer

Reaction score
I have brewed a New Castle clone and with a 1.046 OG and was in Primary Fermenter for 8 days and the transferred to secondary Fermenter and is on the 9th day in the Secondary. When I moved to Secondary the bubbling in the airlock was down to 2 per minute in the Primary; after moving to secondary I now have 4 to 5 per minute. Should I be alarmed? I havent taken another Gravity reading yet other than the OG. Any feed back would be appreciated. This was a partial grain and extract recipe.

There's nothing to w0rry about, if anything it's a good thing. You probably roused some yeast during racking... More fermentation = more alcohol = :tank:... I did a Nut Brown Kit that was said to taste like Newcastle and i ended up racking it to secondary when it was only down to 1.020 (from 1.051) i didn't take a Hydo reading before i racked so the damage was done... You should be fine...

You probably did rouse the yeast some and they are finishing up plus there is probably some CO2 that is coming out of solution after you moved it. I wouldn't worry as it sounds normal.

Back