All Grain to Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don5153

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for a good Strawberry Blonde Ale:tank:, and I found this one. Its all grain & I was hoping someone could convert this to a Partial or extract.

Posted By:
brewchez

So we tapped into that strawberry blonde Saturday at 2PM. At 5PM people were yelling at me; "Hey, I think we kicked the keg." Crap, 5 gallons gone in about 3 hours. Next, time I'll have to do ten gallons of it.

It was a great beer with fruit. The strawberry aroma was great, and the flavor was just enough. For everyone that asks about fruit in beer, if you like strawberry give this a try.

6lbs German pilsner malt
4.5lbs American Wheat Malt
1.5lbs Munich Malt

0.75oz tetnager hop pellets (60min)
0.25oz cascade hop pellets (20 min)

Fermented with WLP051 (California common V)

After primary, I racked the beer onto 4lbs of sliced strawberries that had been steeped in water that was at near boil temp (heat off during steep). Let sit in secondary with berries for 7 days, then rack to a third fermentor for 7 days. Then bottle or rack to keg.

I am open for suggestions, if I should change something, or if you have a good recipe. Thanks Again Donnie:mug:

I have a 5 gallon water cooler for partial. I can boil approx 5 gallons.

Well, you can do the whole recipe if you want- those grains and water will fit in the 5 gallon cooler, no problem.

You want to mash all the grains, and boil 5 gallons? Or do you want to mash 1/2 the grains, and boil 3 gallons, etc? Sorry to be so thick- I'm just not sure exactly what to give you.

Well I've never done all grain. Is its as easy as putting in the grain with 155 deg. water for 30 mins, then boil?

Yeah, using normal constants (1.25 qt of water/lb of grain), you'll be able to mash the entire amount with no need for conversion. So if my logic is correct, you could collect the first runnings and then top off after your boil. Yoop, does that sound right? I'm not sure about the volume.

Thats sounds almost to easy. Hey I'll try it. This might be my first step into all grain. Thanks

After I get the water from the grains, do I need to rinse with 170 deg water?

Well I've never done all grain. Is its as easy as putting in the grain with 155 deg. water for 30 mins, then boil?

You're going to want to add about 164 degree water (at 1.25 quarts per pound) to your grains, to get you about 153 degrees and you'd mash it for an hour. Drain, and then add the sparge water (175 degrees or so) and stir well, and then drain that. You can plan on 15 quarts to mash in, and then you can sparge with 7 quarts. That should get you right around 5 gallons to boil, but you can top off to 5 gallons if you're a bit short in the primary.

If you want to do it as a PM, you could mash the Munich malt and two pounds of pilsner malt, at 153 for 45-60 minutes, and then use the pilsner liquid malt extract (3.3 pound cans, I think it comes in) and 3 pounds of wheat dry extract. If you do a 3 gallon boil, I'd suggest mashing the pilsner and munich malt in 5 quarts of water and then sparging with 1.75 gallons, and then bringing it up to 3 gallons by adding additional water. I'd increase the bittering hops to 1.25 ounces if you do a 3 gallon boil.

Ok, to rephrase all of that- you can do it as an AG, no problem. If you want to, you put all the grains in the cooler, add do as my first description. You can definitely do that with the equipment you have.

If you want to do a smaller 3 gallon boil, my second description will work for you.

Wow, GREAT!!! Thanks for the info. I'm going to brew this on Sat. Thanks Again for all your help.

Back