Fermcap s-1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i managed to get 9+ gallons to a boil in a 10 gallon pot, thanks to fermcap S. it did boil over slightly when i dumped the bittering hops in though. if i had poured them in more slowly im sure it would have been fine.

tdogg said:
i managed to get 9+ gallons to a boil in a 10 gallon pot, thanks to fermcap S. it did boil over slightly when i dumped the bittering hops in though. if i had poured them in more slowly im sure it would have been fine.

I kill the burner right as I dump the hops. I find that the bubbles from the boil are excited by the hops. They sort of foam for a few seconds. I stir them in real quick and light it back. It's off boil maybe 20 seconds, but it helps a lot.

It's pretty awesome stuff. I don't use them much anymore for main boils but they are a godsend for making starters in a flask.

There are anti-flatulence medicines that have the active ingredient which is Dimethylpolysiloxane, some people have experimented and found these also work similarly.

There are anti-flatulence medicines that have the active ingredient which is Dimethylpolysiloxane, some people have experimented and found these also work similarly.

The medicines with simethecone work similarly like you say (i.e., Gas-X, which I've used) but are not priced similarly :(. The medicines are FDA cleared and, thus, far more expensive. This was my experience.

Back