Nugget Nectar Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
planning a version of this for my next brew utilizing the ingredients I have on hand, I decided to use Dark Munich instead of C60 to get to the 8 srm's......any comments / suggestions.....yea I know there is no Nuggett in there but Warrior is very close and i have over a half pound sitting here in my freezer...

I can't wait to try this out...I love me some Nectar.

So, I plan to try a new stab at Troegs Nugget Nectar recipe. I think my original is close, so I am going to do it, and this one, side by side. I am also going to try both of these once Nugget Nectar is available again.

So here it is:

Stats

Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.062 SG
Expected OG: 1.073 SG
Expected FG: 1.017 SG
Expected ABV: 7.40%
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 92.2 IBU
Expected Color (using Morey): 8.0 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 1.26
Mash Efficiency: 75.00%
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins

Grain

German Pilsner Malt 19lb 0oz 65.20% 2.2 In Mash/Steeped
US Munich 10L Malt 4lb 12oz 16.30% 4.3 In Mash/Steeped
US Vienna Malt 4lb 12oz 16.30% 1.5 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 60L Malt 10.00 oz 2.10% 3.4 In Mash/Steeped

Hop Schedule

US Nugget 12.20% 2.00 oz 33.2 Bagged Whole Hops First Wort Hopped
US Warrior 15.50% 1.00 oz 21.9 Bagged Pellet Hops First Wort Hopped
US Columbus 15.20% 2.00 oz 19.2 Bagged Whole Hops 15 Min From End
US Simcoe 13.00% 2.00 oz 13.3 Bagged Pellet Hops 10 Min From End
US Palisade 8.00% 2.00 oz 4.5 Bagged Pellet Hops 5 Min From End
US Nugget 12.20% 2.00 oz 0 Bagged Whole Hops At turn off
US Nugget 12.20% 2.00 oz 0 Bagged Pellet Hops In Fermenter
US Warrior 15.50% 1.00 oz 0 Bagged Pellet Hops In Fermenter
US Nugget 12.20% 2.00 oz 0 Bagged Whole Hops Dry-Hopped
US Warrior 15.50% 1.00 oz 0 Bagged Pellet Hops Dry-Hopped

Other

FiveStar 5.2 (1 tbsp in mash)
Whirfloc Tablet (last 15 min of boil)

This hop schedule is new, but it incorporates all of the hops that Troegs says they use, and at the times they say they use them.

Redskinfan,
This is a great recipe I made this in early summer and it turned out great ,how do know the timings is it on there web site somewhere?? looks great will try something similar think I will replace columbus with more Nugget.I will probably be starting In about a week or two trying my first alt also soon

I am just going by the malt and the hops they say they use. They also post info about the kind of hops used in each phase.

Kettle hops: Nugget, Warrior, Columbus, Simcoe, and Palisade.
HopBack/Flameout: Nugget
Dry Hop: Nugget, Warrior

I make a few assumption on the hops schedule, but that's because I have brewed a version of this before. I could be way off on this new brew, but I doubt it. The good thing about it is that I have a pretty good beer otherwise, even if it isn't a perfect clone!

Thanks for the linked placed order today, what do you think about using american pilsner to save a few bucks as i dont think it would have a resounding behind the munich and the massive ambush of hops? what do you think?

Great thread. I think I'm gonna take a stab at it this weekend (or next if SWMBO has her way). My thoughts:
a) Going with the Warrior/Nugget combo for DH.
b) Nugget at flameout to simulate their hopback. Will chill to 160F, then stop chilling and let rest for 20 minutes, then continue to cool.
c) Palisade/Nugget at 10 minutes and Simcoe/Nugget at 20 minutes. After all it is called Nugget Nectar.
d) Nugget at 60 min.
e) Columbus at FWH. Will carry some flavor thru boil.
f) Warrior in mash. I have some pellets to throw in there. Will get minute bittering and a bit of flavor thru the boil. Plus it makes the mash smell devine!
g) Not sure what yeast to use. Any thoughts?

Mead Lane Nugget Nectar Recipe:
Batch Size: 5.00 gal / OG: 1.074 SG
IBU: 89.5 IBU / Color: 9.6 SRM
Efficiency: 70.00 % / Boil Time: 90 Minutes

7 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (1.5 SRM) 49.12 %
4 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 28.07 %
3 lbs Vienna Malt (3.0 SRM) 21.05 %
4.0 oz Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) 1.75 %
0.50 oz Warrior [15.80 %] (60 min) (Mash Hop) 8.3 IBU
0.50 oz Columbus [15.20 %] (90 min) (FWH) 25.9 IBU
0.50 oz Nugget [14.10 %] (60 min) 26.7 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] (20 min) 8.2 IBU
0.50 oz Nugget [14.10 %] (20 min) 9.0 IBU
1.00 oz Palisade [8.00 %] (10 min) 6.1 IBU
0.50 oz Nugget [14.10 %] (10 min) 5.3 IBU
2.00 oz Nugget [14.10 %] (0 min) (Aroma- Hop Steep)
1.00 oz Nugget [14.10 %] (Dry Hop 10 days)
1.00 oz Warrior [17.80 %] (Dry Hop 10 days)
0.25 tsp Lactic Acid (Boil)
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil)
0.50 tsp Gypsum (Mash)
1 Pkgs Essex Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP022)
1 Pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968)
1 Pkgs Pacman Ale (Wyeast Labs)

Saacrification: 152F / 10 min
Mash Out: 168F / 10 min

I'm going to give this one a go,using a few subs comments????

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Time: 75 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 65.6 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 15.6 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 15.6 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.1 %
1.00 oz Nugget [15.10%] (60 min) Hops 39.9 IBU
0.50 oz Warrior [15.80%] (60 min) Hops 23.2 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [11.00%] (15 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
0.75 oz Simcoe [12.20%] (15 min) Hops 13.3 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
1.00 oz Nugget [15.10%] (1 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
1.00 oz Nugget [15.10%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

Est Original Gravity: 1.075 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.6 %

Mash In Add 20.00 qt of water at 171.8 F 156.0 F 70 min
Sparge1 Add 10.00 qt of water at 196.9 F 168.0 F 10 min
Sparge2 Add 10.00 qt of water at 172.4 F 169.0 F 10 min

Use the California yeast or the US-05 from Fermentis if you want to use dry yeast. I have to brew this one again, I made a "smaller" version of this a few months back and it turned out great. I know Redskinfan loves this beer and he got me motivated to brew it.

Just racked into keg today OG was 1.070 and finished with 1.016 sample tastes great although a little bitter this will most likely subside with time hopefully sooner than latter would like to serve at party next Saturday.

I am about to brew this beer again. This time I am going to use some Palisade that I got from Steerlers77 (www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com). I think the key to mellowing the bitterness is FWH'ing. I am going to do both Nugget and Warrior in FWH, as that is also the combo that Troegs says they do with dry-hopping. The FWH will give it a bit more in the flavor department, and will lower the perceived bitterness. Just makes sense to me.

I might have to do this real soon. They currently have Nugget going through the paces at the brewery so mine should be ready about the same time. I'm just about out of all my base grain so it will be an expensive month for me replacing the american 2 row, MO, and pils.

Just started the boil on a 10 gallon batch of this. 90 mins to go till it's time to pitch the US-05. Can't wait to do a side by side of this and the real thing!!!

Just racked into keg today OG was 1.070 and finished with 1.016 sample tastes great although a little bitter this will most likely subside with time hopefully sooner than latter would like to serve at party next Saturday.

Bells, did the bitterness subside? How was the party?

party was great, still got a couple glasses left as many friends are happy with swag. As i remember(been 8 months or so) the nectar had more of a malty profile up front which quickly subsided to the wonderful hop flavor.Mine still has a bit of bitterness up front although after that the flavor and aroma is wonderful . Maybe FWH would help this, will try next time? (less or latter warrior/nugget for bittering) I also will do a slightly larger percent of vienna compared to munich /what do you think??

been hording and had a glass and a half left finally a perfect balance, took about 2 months, now i know, and will hold out longer next time. How about yours redskin? I would age at a colder temp for a few weeks, let us know.

Drinking the commercial version now and there is a lot more up front bitterness than I remember (Maybe cause i did not get it as fresh last year?) I believe the simcoe has to be a pretty late addition as it comes through in the aroma pretty strong, maybe 0 or 1 minute addition.Also for simcoe to come through maybe reducing duration and quantity of dry hops is a good idea? Must try to clone again soon, going to be busy got 3 beers ahead of this

Bells,

I don't think that lowering the dry-hop changes te Simcoe aroma. It just adds dynamic to it. In my clone, the Simcoe is at 10 min. Depending on cooling methods, this could both be an aroma/flavor addition, so it could be coming from there.

I am going to pick some up this weekend, if I can find it in MD, and do a profile on it. I am sure the hops are a bit more bitter at first, like all of our hoppy beers, but balance out within a few weeks.

nugget_nectar_clone.JPG

That's the final result 3 weeks post-bottling for me after having followed this thread for some time now. Wish I could've got better lighting in the picture but the color is really a pretty brilliant shade of orange...you can see it a bit in the right edge of the glass in the picture.

Here is the variation on the recipe I followed for a 5.5g batch: http://hopville.com/recipe/356975/imperial-ipa-recipes/imperial-india-red-ale-2010-10-05-version

I've been impatiently tossing a bottle in the fridge here and there to see how it's shaping up and I've got to say it's pretty fantastic...best IPA I've made yet :) My efficiency was a tad off and I finished about 1.072 and ended at 1.020.

Unfortunately I don't have a commercial version to compare against. Reddskinfan, lemme know if you find something in MD :D Anyways, the taste is pretty darn close to what I remember from last spring and the nugget hops hit you in the face exactly the way I loved about the real deal. Thanks all who've been contributing to this thread for helping me churn out a delicious beer!

Had to settle for the hopback yesterday. Guys up in NJ said it wouldn't be out till Spring.

Spring came early:D I got hooked up with a 1/6 keg from a friend, enjoying a pint now. Delicious! :rockin: Bottles will be around next week or the following from what I've been told.

reddskinnfan, since you now have 3 personal versions under ur belt, which would you say came out the best. I am planning a brew and would like to copy all your research.

Thanks,

Gints fan :)

The latest recipe seems to be the closest to the real NN. If I was to change anything, it would be to let it to sit for 3-4 weeks in the keg before I even tasted it. I LOVE THIS BEER!

Well I'm a complete nOOb here, and to brewing. I've been following this thread, and reading others. I found some recipe on here, before I found this thread, and I brewed it up. It was my FIRST brew.

Yeah for my first brew I went with a Nugget Nectar clone - what is wrong with me?

Well everything went great with the brew, I just think I bottled the beer too early.

I brewed on January 10th. OG was 1.085. I Bottled 14 days later. I only took the FG one time which was 1.039. Someone mentioned to me that the FG was still too high.

The beer has been sitting at around 65* since January 24th. I threw 24 of the beers into the fridge on Saturday morning. Few friends came over on Saturday night. One of which brought over his first homebrew. We drank it, it turned out great. He told me we should try mine. I thought no, it's too early to drink it. We opened one any way.

Well it was a Gusher. After all the head cleared I tried it. Didn't taste anything like Nugget Nectar, but it was still pretty good.

So am I screwed here? Are all of these bottles going to be gushers? I'm going to leave them in the fridge for another week and see how they turn out. I'm hoping I didn't ruin my first batch by bottling too soon.

I'll be cloning one of these Nugget Nectars- I'm probably going to be using redskinnfans recipe. This time I will do it right!
I'm excited.

First off, welcome to brewing! You're gonna LOVE IT!

Secondly, welcome to HBT!! There isn't a better place for info about beer, from people who know how to brew it.

Third on the list... Always check attenuation at least twice, unless you let the beer sit in primary for three weeks like I do (you still check it!).

Spring came early:D I got hooked up with a 1/6 keg from a friend, enjoying a pint now. Delicious! :rockin: Bottles will be around next week or the following from what I've been told.

Where exactly in NJ can YOUR keg of NN be found? haha Let me know if you need any help finishing it (if you haven't already)!:mug:

reddskinnfan -
I love beer, so I'd imagine brewing my own will be awesome! I thought the first batch was fun.
I've been searching all over this forum. There is so much knowledge here. It's almost never ending. I just had the format- I'll get used to it.

Now I know to always check more than once to make sure the beer is ready to bottle. That seemed like an amateur mistake.

I guess all I can do now is to wait. I'm hoping that in a weeks time the beer will chill out and be somewhat drinkable.

this recipe is pretty close. the hops are a bit off and the yeast isn't right. try a german ale, at 66F.

hubah, I would put those bottles in a basement or somewhere semi contained as it sounds like you may have potentially created some bottle bombs

hubah, I would put those bottles in a basement or somewhere semi contained as it sounds like you may have potentially created some bottle bombs
I would put them in a basement, or somewhere safe, I just don't have anywhere. They have been sitting at room temperature for over a month and no bottles have broken yet...

I'm praying for the best here.

I would put them in a basement, or somewhere safe, I just don't have anywhere. They have been sitting at room temperature for over a month and no bottles have broken yet...

I'm praying for the best here.

Maybe put them inside of a cardboard box wrapped in a trash bag or something?

Never had a chance to taste the real thing but had to brew the clone based on all the accolades. Now I understand. Truly a delicious, distinctive beer.

I tasted this for the first time in the pub yesterday and it was cask conditioned! Truly awesome. I'm definitely brewing my own soon!

So, I plan to try a new stab at Troegs Nugget Nectar recipe. I think my original is close, so I am going to do it, and this one, side by side. I am also going to try both of these once Nugget Nectar is available again.

So here it is:

Stats

Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.062 SG
Expected OG: 1.073 SG
Expected FG: 1.017 SG
Expected ABV: 7.40%
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 92.2 IBU
Expected Color (using Morey): 8.0 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 1.26
Mash Efficiency: 75.00%
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins

Grain

German Pilsner Malt 19lb 0oz 65.20% 2.2 In Mash/Steeped
US Munich 10L Malt 4lb 12oz 16.30% 4.3 In Mash/Steeped
US Vienna Malt 4lb 12oz 16.30% 1.5 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 60L Malt 10.00 oz 2.10% 3.4 In Mash/Steeped

Hop Schedule

US Nugget 12.20% 2.00 oz 33.2 Bagged Whole Hops First Wort Hopped
US Warrior 15.50% 1.00 oz 21.9 Bagged Pellet Hops First Wort Hopped
US Columbus 15.20% 2.00 oz 19.2 Bagged Whole Hops 15 Min From End
US Simcoe 13.00% 2.00 oz 13.3 Bagged Pellet Hops 10 Min From End
US Palisade 8.00% 2.00 oz 4.5 Bagged Pellet Hops 5 Min From End
US Nugget 12.20% 2.00 oz 0 Bagged Whole Hops At turn off
US Nugget 12.20% 2.00 oz 0 Bagged Pellet Hops In Fermenter
US Warrior 15.50% 1.00 oz 0 Bagged Pellet Hops In Fermenter
US Nugget 12.20% 2.00 oz 0 Bagged Whole Hops Dry-Hopped
US Warrior 15.50% 1.00 oz 0 Bagged Pellet Hops Dry-Hopped

Other

FiveStar 5.2 (1 tbsp in mash)
Whirfloc Tablet (last 15 min of boil)

This hop schedule is new, but it incorporates all of the hops that Troegs says they use, and at the times they say they use them.

Hey reddskninfan:

So this is the recipe that came the closest to the real thing right? This is for a 10 gallon batch I assume. I ordered the ingredients to do a partial mash version of this recipe. :ban:

Latest posts

Back