Since when did people become so stupid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All wild animals are unpredictable and potentially dangerous.

There's a grey squirrel in my back yard that intimidates the **** out of me. That thing hisses and squawks every time I go in my own back yard. I give him lots of free bird seed and a wide berth. Even though he's just a squirrel, I'm pretty sure he can do some damage.

My grandmother once had a red squirrel find its way into her basement and take up residence. Every morning, she would hear this squirrel running along the plumbing between the floor joists to stash walnuts. She wanted to waste several hundred dollars to hire an exterminator to come and take care of the problem. My Dad and I told her "Give us $20, we'll get rid of the squirrel." We went to the hardware store and bought a rat trap and a spool of thin wire. We tied the rat trap using some wire to part of the plumbing between the floor joists, and baited it with walnuts. The next morning, Mr. Red Squirrel met his demise due his baser instincts.

I recently heard that the average human brain has shrunk 10% since the Stone Age.

Those scientists said they thought it was because ancient Man needed to know more and more difficult skills just to survive...

I think it's because people with half the brains don't fall out of the gene pool as often and are dragging the average down with their constant and prolific breeding.

Last edited:
Regarding people being stupid and thinning the herd, just look at the Darwin Awards.

My retort to all of the heroin ODs that I see.

Honestly though, I feel like the majority of people literally morons. My wife says I am super smart, but I think that is to shut me up.

So there is a mountain lion loose in Milwaukee, and it's in a location that's really, really far from anything remotely rural. It was just confirmed; for the last week, people mostly dismissed it as a crazy rumor.

Anyway, it's only a matter of time before someone tries to catch it. Someone already shot a dog thinking it was a lion. (The dog is going to be okay.)

Post any articles you've recently seen as examples as how stupid people are like this one with a woman and a Buffalo...
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bison-injures-woman-posing-for-selfie-at-yellowstone/ar-AAdlv0i

To answer the question... always and forever.

We just didn't have the internet to share that stupidity.

I think you can see steep rise in stupidity with every invention that connects us. It was already there, it's just easy to share so we do.

When you're writing a letter that may or may not make it back to your Motherland that may or may not make it you have less of a tendency to let them know all the stupid crap your friends/neighbors have been up to.

Arrive in Missoula at 2:00 AM, dead tired. Cab to dispatch to pick up a vehicle. Dispatcher tells you to take a left from the parking lot, then a right. Take "local name for a road which appears on no street/highway signs by that name" to get to fire camp 80 miles away.

Sleep in truck until morning.

Apparently, people have been stupid for quite awhile.

A little over 30 years ago, my sister had a summer job as a live in nanny for a well to do couple in Hilton Head, SC. The mother was a real estate agent and came home one day with a story from the office.

One of the other agents in her office was showing a home on the water to a couple with a small baby. The agent and the husband walked out into the back yard just in time to stop the wife as she was about to place her baby on the back of an alligator that had entered the yard. She thought it would have made a cute photo.

Apparently, people have been stupid for quite awhile.

A little over 30 years ago, my sister had a summer job as a live in nanny for a well to do couple in Hilton Head, SC. The mother was a real estate agent and came home one day with a story from the office.

One of the other agents in her office was showing a home on the water to a couple with a small baby. The agent and the husband walked out into the back yard just in time to stop the wife as she was about to place her baby on the back of an alligator that had entered the yard. She thought it would have made a cute photo.

It would have if cute meant horrifying and tragic.

Have you heard these repeated stories about people flying their little quad copter things into wildfire areas so they can get pictures/video? The dummies interfere with flight paths and make it so that the firefighters can't drop water from airplanes or helicopters.

Bison are pretty docile creatures... at a distance. around the Black Hills (my home land) I would see people get out of their cars because they wanted to "pet the buffalah" or take pictures next to one. those fences are not meant to keep them in, they are meant to keep you out. a bison can walk right through those fences. an angry bison can go through walls with ease as well as turning your fancy F350 dually over. don't get close to the "buffalah"!

I've seen buffalo fight up closer then a comfortable distance. Since then I have the upmost respect for wild animals that are 2000lb+

I heard recently on a podcast, cant remember which one. They had said that part of the reason we still have morons is that all the smart people left the cave every day to go hunt and explore, they would leave the dead weight idiots behind cause they would scare the animals away or eat up all the food while they were traveling. So the idiots would stay at the cave, spending all their time making additional idiots.

To stay on the Yellowstone theme since that attracts morons. When I went there with my dad around 10 years ago, we were driving around on some of the scenic roads in the park and saw a big bull elk in a clearing. We slowed down, stayed in the car, and took pictures, probably 100 yards off the road. Some dink stops behind us, gets out, with his child (couldn't have been more than 6-8 years old) and starts walking out into the field towards the bull elk. Other people pulled up and stopped so we drove off since we didn't want to see a child get gored (I assume elk are more docile than bison and would rather flee than fight unless its breeding time, but thats not a good assumption to make without a large rifle and having your child right next to you).

I witnessed the same thing several years ago on hwy 12 (Lolo Pass) from Lewiston Id. to Missoula Mt. But it was a family of Moose. We sat quietly watching them forage until a bunch of idiots showed up and wanted to get as close as they could. I was rooting for Papa moose to charge and maybe teach some stupid humans a lesson but they ran up into the wilderness......

Bear attacks are excessively rare here in finland, even more so wolves.
The most common wild animal to harm people is moose, and mostly as traffic accident
hirvikolari.jpg

Back to stupidity..
In finland we celebrate the Longest day of the year(juhannus), by going to cottages, drinking way to much..etc etc.

Every year, several people are found floating upside down with their zipper open next to their boat.....

At 4pm on a Saturday last July, a guy running an excavator in the neighborhood digging the hole for a basement for a new house hit the underground power line. All of the houses past that point loose power. Our next door neighbors return home from camping both have masters degrees from the University of Michigan Masters. She asks us what happened and proclaims that they want to take showers after camping but can't because "the lights are out"... at 4pm in July!

My big issue with the world getting stupider is that it seems like now you can't even complete the simplest task without somebody else messing it up because they lack basic competence in everyday tasks.

At 4pm on a Saturday last July, a guy running an excavator in the neighborhood digging the hole for a basement for a new house hit the underground power line. All of the houses past that point loose power. Our next door neighbors return home from camping both have masters degrees from the University of Michigan Masters. She asks us what happened and proclaims that they want to take showers after camping but can't because "the lights are out"... at 4pm in July!

Possibly they have an electric water heater?

You got the double whammy of stupid people.
I'd give the award to the guy digging the basement for not knowing that the utility company will come out free of charge to mark where lines are laid. All you have to do is call.

Maybe their bathroom is contained within only interior walls and they don't have windows to the outside?

I mean, sure, they could shower by candlelight if necessary, but that's a bit of a hassle.

Maybe their bathroom is contained within only interior walls and they don't have windows to the outside?

I mean, sure, they could shower by candlelight if necessary, but that's a bit of a hassle.

As long as they have hot water the candle light would work. Could be a bit of a hassle though, might get romantic.

Back to stupidity..

In finland we celebrate the Longest day of the year(juhannus), by going to cottages, drinking way to much..etc etc.

Every year, several people are found floating upside down with their zipper open next to their boat.....

I'll go one step further. Here in Milwaukee, we are at the confluence of the Milwaukee and the Kinnickinnick Rivers, both of which drain into Lake Michigan. The big entertainment district is on the river. Another large Wisconsin town, La Crosse, is on the Mississippi River, and the entertainment district is right in the river's banks. Over the years, lots of young men have tragically fallen in and drowned.

It's perfectly plain from post-mortem tests that these guys are usually very drunk. I'm practically certain that these guys fall in because they're trying to pee in the rivers. Heck - I've done it.

That doesn't stop these ridiculous rumors about a serial killer who lurks in the bushes by the riverbanks and pushes them in! The rumors are so stupid.

I'd say that people were stupid since the day one stuck a hand in fire to learn it's hot. And then did it again to be sure.

I disagree. That is just verification of the initial observation and that is just good science. The third time though, that was stupid.

Back