I just don't understand green bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicratlhead51

Reaction score
I decided it was high time I buy some Pilsner Urquell the other day since it's supposedly the pilsner and I really ought to try it. I was anticipating my first glass to be something I could really enjoy and when I brought it up to my face the only aroma I got from it was extreme skunkiness. I was pretty bummed out and really the rest of the glass wasn't that great either. Kinda sweet, the hop flavor and aroma were totally masked by the skunkiness and the bitterness was just blah. I'm going to blame the green bottle and poor storage at some point on its trip from the Chech Republic to my house at least I hope that's not the way this stuff is supposed to taste since I've definitly had better pilsners. The rest of the six pack I decided would be easier to enjoy if I didn't pour it and just drank it from the bottle. They did go down better that way since I couldn't smell the beer. Just bummed out:(

Sorry. Green bottles started out as a cheaper alternative to brown. Even after their shortcomings were revealed, people continued to use them because they stood out and look "cool".

If you can find it, try a Pilsner Urquell on tap or extremely fresh. There is a big difference. I had some on tap at a hockey game and it was good. Not nearly as good as I was led to believe.

I wrote this back in 08 I had done some digging.

Historically, beer has been bottled in green or brown glass because those colors are easily produced by natural iron oxide in the sand used to make the glass. Brown glass is better than green, because unless it is very thick, green glass permits the passage of the primarily skunkifying green and blue light, while brown or amber glass blocks it.

Why do beer companies (especially foreign) continue to ship beers overseas or across the border in clear and green bottles?

Marketing people forcing the bottle color down their throats.

The prevailing theories in beer geekdom are brand and “import taste.” Both are related. If the assumption (historical) that imported beers are better than those produced domestically and green bottles are indicative of importedness, than green bottles are good for imported beers brand image.

Further, many drinkers who like “imported beer” consume them believing skunkiness is an “import taste” and thus somehow good or superior.

Most Americans don't know any better, they think imports are supposed to taste like skunk. Hand us a slice of lime and we'll be fine the marketers think. :D

Early beer bottle..

duffyporter_small.jpg

Yeah I followed one of the similar thread links and found that same post Revvy. Seems like a shame that the brewers would allow commercial pressure like that push them into shipping beer that's just going to go bad. I made it a rule to only buy Heinekin in closed twelve pack cases a while ago because of that skunky problem. I made an exception for Urquell. I just hate the disappointment. I don't buy commercial beer nearly as often as I used to so when I do I like it to be good.

Hello Revvy,

> ... Brown glass is better than green, because unless it is very thick, green
> glass permits the passage of the primarily skunkifying green and blue light,
> while brown or amber glass blocks it. ...

How thick do you think green glass need to be to be safe against skunking?

I'm thinking of making use of champagne bottles and while there are some
dark brown ones, the most accessible ones are dark green. I'd say the
champagne bottles are probably twice as thick (and darker) as the typical
330ml green bottles many beers come in here in Australia.

Reading through some of the skunking posts, I'm guessing the green
champagne bottles would be better than the small green bottles but would
nevertheless be susceptible to skunking - even the dark brown bottles to
some degree if left in full sun.

I store my beers in a place that can get significant diffuse daylight but in
strong plastic boxes and plan to cut up cardboard boxes at two opposite
diagonal edges to slip over the bottles as a way to minimise light reaching
the bottles.

Tom.

Back