NanoBrewery build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HBH,
This is still one of my fav threads here. I'm glad to see you are still going. I think I read a while back that you had picked up some restaurant accounts. Is that going well?

BTW, I really like your storefront and sign. I was also wondering if you could plant some hop vines somewhere in your brother's vineyard? Can hops tolerate heat? I know it gets really hot there in summer. You could really play up the whole hand crafted nano thing if you could grow some of your own hops.

Awesome. Going to try to get up there soon. Since you are slightly cooler than the surface-of-the-sun location that is Fresno, would be a nice way to get out...

What do you have available right now?

HBH,
This is still one of my fav threads here. I'm glad to see you are still going. I think I read a while back that you had picked up some restaurant accounts. Is that going well?

BTW, I really like your storefront and sign. I was also wondering if you could plant some hop vines somewhere in your brother's vineyard? Can hops tolerate heat? I know it gets really hot there in summer. You could really play up the whole hand crafted nano thing if you could grow some of your own hops.

The restaurant account fizzled. He claims to want to support locals but then complains about the quality or any excuse he can come up with. He did the same thing with local wine he had.
Thanks. I have 8 hop plants growing on my property. 4 Glacier, 3 Willamette and 1 Wawona (local wild hops with no idea on the AA).

Awesome. Going to try to get up there soon. Since you are slightly cooler than the surface-of-the-sun location that is Fresno, would be a nice way to get out...

What do you have available right now?

On tap is my Miners Gold Ale (American Pale Ale), Boston Red Ale, Mild Brown Ale and a Porter. I also have a Raspberry Wheat that's bottled but not on tap.

Picked my 2010 hop crop. The one Wawona hop plant I have produced more hops than all my other plants combined. Not bad for a first year plant. A neighbor of mine who gave me the rhizome picked his hops also and gave them to me. One and a half paper bags full of hops in exchange for a couple of six packs of homebrew. Good deal if you ask me. ;)
I think my first summer selling brew went very well. A lot of nice compliments and got to chat with other homebrewers as well.

Very cool HBHoss! My plants are really struggling in this last heat wave we had in the valley. I hope this past weekend of nice weather helped them out.

Did the nice weather bring out some more customers this weekend?

Very cool HBHoss! My plants are really struggling in this last heat wave we had in the valley. I hope this past weekend of nice weather helped them out.

Did the nice weather bring out some more customers this weekend?

It was a par weekend. I think with all the back to school going on it was a different crowd than before. More Californians than out of state people. I'm hoping this Labor Day weekend will be a busy one.

How's your foot traffic? I remember you had asked for ways to increase it. Don't worry about that restaurant. Hit up the others in the area even if it's only to get your bottles in there.

Something you may want to do is ask the restaurant guy to put down in writing what exactly he doesn't like about your beer. Tell him this is entirely so you can evaluate your product. Take it seriously and evaluate your product based on what he says. If he complains about quality control are your batches tasting a little different from each other for some reason?

Hey - If you want to get into Restaurants/Bars what about places like BC's Pizza and Red Wave in Fresno? They're close enough to you and both offer lots of beers on tap. Rad Wave (while mostly a dive/student bar - it's across the street from CSUF) has a lot of craft brews on tap.

How did you work out the pricing of your beer? Are you considering any labor in the cost or just raw materials?

Just finished reading the thread. Wish I'd known about this sooner, was up in Yosemite this summer. Are you considering brewing something up with the local hops?

Just finished reading the thread. Wish I'd known about this sooner, was up in Yosemite this summer. Are you considering brewing something up with the local hops?

I just did, as a matter of fact. Check out my facebook page, it has a couple of pictures of the batch boiling.

just read this entire thread, Congrats!

i will definately be making it up there at some point in time to try your pro-brew.

good luck hoss!

Prost

just read this entire thread, Congrats!

i will definately be making it up there at some point in time to try your pro-brew.

good luck hoss!

Prost

That would be DOWN THERE from your location besides my location that's farther north by app 30 miles on an island. Yes I would be glad to give Scott a hand shake and tilt a few towards his success.

Wow now that was a READ!Great thread and great inspiration!best of luck with your venture,Can't wait to make it down your way.

It's been awhile since I've written an update so here it is. Business has slowed down now that the tourist season has ended but on the bright side I have a very top notch restaurant that wants to carry my brew. I also am now in the possession of a 50 gallon mash tun, with false bottom, and fermentation vessel to go along with it. I'll post pictures once I've taken them. So now I need something to hold all that brew in and be able to bottle. Hmmmm, got some rearranging to do in the brew house. I'll also need a larger mill to grind all that grain. Let the fun begin. :D

I'll also need a larger mill to grind all that grain. Let the fun begin. :D

Have you considered getting your base grains pre-milled? I know North Country does it for $2.20 per bag. A homebrewers mill should still be plenty to mill your specialty grains. Obviously you would would a new mill once you continue to grow but it could be a good way to hold you over for a bit. I ask because we are planning to do the same thing for our brewery.

Scott,
congrats on your new equipment find, now you need to get your larger brewing system out of storage up and running before next summer.
BTW what type mill you using presently?
Check in Crankandstein mills especially the 2" diameter 3 roller system. The knurling on the secondary roller is shallow knurled with flats vs sharp pointed knurling for less grain shredding and flour. Give Don at Crank a shout he'll take the time to talk to you not a rush job he's the real deal machinest that holds high standards.

Scott,
congrats on your new equipment find, now you need to get your larger brewing system out of storage up and running before next summer.
BTW what type mill you using presently?
Check in Crankandstein mills especially the 2" diameter 3 roller system. The knurling on the secondary roller is shallow knurled with flats vs sharp pointed knurling for less grain shredding and flour. Give Don at Crank a shout he'll take the time to talk to you not a rush job he's the real deal machinest that holds high standards.

Right now I use a PhilMill. Single roller, but does a great job. I made a hopper for it and can do 15 lbs at a time.

Cool run the mill until it dies, get your use out of it then upgrade.
I wish I could make the ride in your direction i'd be there ASAP
to sample your brews. Sometime in the future after I get rebuilt.

You are my hero. Good luck! I am also in a small town with some big potential because it is a tourism destination on weekends. I am watching how you do this...did you secure a permit from your town??

You are my hero. Good luck! I am also in a small town with some big potential because it is a tourism destination on weekends. I am watching how you do this...did you secure a permit from your town??

Thanks. The only permit from the town was a county health permit.

Here's a couple of pics of the new MLT.
MLT
50 gal MLT.jpg

False bottom
50 gal false bottom.jpg

I like the false-bottom. Reminds me of a miniature version of the fb used at the brewery where I used to work.

Back