Whirlpool or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skepace

Reaction score
I'm building my all grain system and kind of stuck. Do I add a whirlpool arm or not?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I would if you plan to use a lot of leaf hops and don't have a way to filter them from the boil kettle from getting clogged. I think I would also do it if you're planning on recirculating the wort during chilling.

^ I agree with the above. Definitely add a whirlpool arm.

I am planning on using a hop spider for pellets plus added a false bottom and level 2 filter/stand from Jaybird.

Ok, so how far up the keggle should I place the hole?

If you ever plan on making a 5 gallon batch I would keep this into consideration. If you're using an immersion chiller I'd also consider location of where you put the whirlpool arm. I would add a 90 degree elbow at the 4 gallon mark and call it good.

If you ever plan on making a 5 gallon batch I would keep this into consideration. If you're using an immersion chiller I'd also consider location of where you put the whirlpool arm. I would add a 90 degree elbow at the 4 gallon mark and call it good.

Thanks. For right now, I am only brewing 5 gallons but I am using a plate chiller. I will fill the keggle with 4 gallons and call it good.

Thanks

Conversely, just put your (assuming) camlock -> elbow fitting on the inside, as high up as you can. Then cut a piece of silicone tubing to length. Saves money by not buying a ball valve etc. I'm sure it's not as effective a whirlpool as one lower, but worked fine for me. Then again I used whirlpooling mostly for hop stands and when chilling, not for trub cones.

Conversely, just put your (assuming) camlock -> elbow fitting on the inside, as high up as you can. Then cut a piece of silicone tubing to length. Saves money by not buying a ball valve etc. I'm sure it's not as effective a whirlpool as one lower, but worked fine for me. Then again I used whirlpooling mostly for hop stands and when chilling, not for trub cones.

Thank you for the idea but I already have a ball valve and the whirlpool arm. Bought too much stuff for a different setup 2 years ago.

Back