First Cider - nothing happening after 24 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dxd

Reaction score
I started my first batch of cider yesterday having no previous experience. I purchased a book "Real CiderMaking on a small scale" and followed the advice there. Of course now I've started I find there's nobody to ask about why nothing's happening and am nervous!

First off, I've used all my budget on a small press and some fermenting buckets so I have no budget to buy any more equipment and I have no hydrometer!!

Here's what I've done so far :-

- Sterilised all equipment
- Mashed and pressed 3 gallons of juice from apples
- Added a sachet of cider yeast that says it can accomodate up to 5 gallons
- Put on lid and airlock

I didn't add anything else, my book advised against campden tablets or pectolase although I do have these to hand since I picked them up in a homebrew shop. And my book suggests that sugar be added at a later stage.

I did this about 30 hours ago, bucket is in the kitchen with only the tiniest bubbles in the airlock.

I know it's too soon to be anxious but since I live in a small town if I need any special additives (other than my Camden and Pectolase) then I will have to order them online and won't get them for 2-3 days.

So - should I purchase any further additives in case I need to intervene to kickstart the fermentation?

Can the juice go bad if it fails to ferment quickly?

I haven't dared take the lid off the bucket to look at the froth on top as I'm not sure what effect letting more air in might have?

I had the same happen with my apfelwein. It was fermenting fine, but the bucket fermenter I was using didn't seal completely. So, most of the co2 escaped past the lid rather than through the airlock. All was fine.

Thanks, but the lid seems pretty well sealed. I don't think that's the problem (if there is a problem!). I'm not sure how quickly I have to intervene if it's still not bubbling tomorrow so I need to make sure I have the necessary ingredients in case I do need to intervene. Should I buy some more yeast? I read something about a yeast energizer or something like that, but I don't know if it's too late for that!

Mine seemed totally sealed. Wouldn't turn, was a mother to pull off. But still, the gas was escaping. Unless there's a gasket, it's unlikely to seal. And even if there is, then it's still not for sure. If you looked in and there was some foam around the top, I'd say it's doing it's thing.

Well I haven't opened the lid to look in but the bucket is opaque white and it looks to me from the outside like there's a foam (or is it scum!) at the top.

Ciders and wines tend to not ferment very vigorously. You don't have to worry about oxygenation if you want to open the bucket- in fact, I do all my primary fermentations without an airlock, so I can stir them. If you're really concerned, you can use a hydrometer to check the specific gravity. It should be dropping if fermentation is happening. In this case, it sounds like everything is just fine!

And easy way to take a peek is just to pop out the airlock. I get a little voyeuristic thrill putting my eye up to that little hole and looking inside. :D

Back