should I use the starter liquid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohad

Reaction score
I made a starter for a witbier two days ago, using 200g of wheat LME and 2 liters of water.
I'm making a batch of Witbier tomorrow - 5 gallons.
the starter was sitting at 19C.
should I pitch the entire starter in? I'm new to starter-making.
would it be possible to cold crash it for only 16 hours and pitch just the "cake"?

Thanks!!!

Both options are fine. I usually swirl and pour the whole thing in. If you want to decant, definitely cold crash so you can get as much yeast out of suspension as possible.

so you are saying that if I cold crash for 16 hours or so (thats all I've got until brewing) it would be sufficient for dropping the yeast?
also, as far as I understand from what I've read, although the starter is still bobbling after two days, it is already in its max yeast cell content?

The yeast use oxygen in the wort while reproducing. Once they consume all the oxygen, they go into the anaerobic phase during which the produce CO2 and alcohol. So yes, if it's bubbling off CO2, then you are done with the reproduction phase...

the starter is in the refrigerator now. will it be OK to pitch it 20 hours after entering the fridge?
do I need to bring it back to room temp a minimal time period before pitching?

ohad said:
the starter is in the refrigerator now. will it be OK to pitch it 20 hours after entering the fridge?
do I need to bring it back to room temp a minimal time period before pitching?
Bring it out maybe 1/2 hour before to give it time to come up to room temp. It needs to be around the same temp as the wort you are pitching it into.

Jason

If you decant when you start your brewday and leave it sit out while you are brewing the remaining yeast and the little bit of wort will be up to pitching temp by the time you are ready for it.

ohad said:

YES

Here is what I usually do:

1. Crash cool overnight
  2. Decant excess liquid in the morning
  3. After decanting let remainder sit at room temperature during the 4-6 hours you are brewing
  4. Pitch the room temperature yeast into your room temperature wort
If you wish to pitch the wort in your starter skip #2

My personal experience has been that pitching a starter when it is actively fermenting results in shorter lagtime, however, decanting is fine too. If it is more than a day old I would decant it as you have.

I usually do anywhere from 1 1/2 to three quart starters and use the liquid to top up a little, seeing as I'm almost always within 1/3 of a gallon to my target ending volume.

:cross:

EDIT: Oh, and if I'm on the money or over a touch from my target volume, I decant most of the liquid...

Latest posts

Back