Carbonation ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chubbzm

Reaction score
Pulled a 1 gal taster and placed it in the fridge to cold crash, was planning on using brown sugar dissolved in a little fresh cider to be my priming sugar, in order to carbonate my cider and back sweeten it a little bit. Was planning on stove top pasteurizing it after about 5 days bottled.. My ? Is if I cold crash it in my fridge am I losing the ability to get carbonation out of my back sweetening?

Pulled a 1 gal taster and placed it in the fridge to cold crash, was planning on using brown sugar dissolved in a little fresh cider to be my priming sugar, in order to carbonate my cider and back sweeten it a little bit. Was planning on stove top pasteurizing it after about 5 days bottled.. My ? Is if I cold crash it in my fridge am I losing the ability to get carbonation out of my back sweetening?

No, you will still have plenty of yeast in suspension. It may be slower than 5 days, though, so I'd suggest filling a plastic soda bottle with some of the batch to be your "tester". When it's rock hard, it's carbonated and time to pasteurize the other bottles.

Excellent thank you very much!!! Cold crashing it for 24 hrs should do it? Then I'm ready to go

I've been looking at a lot of carbing threads and haven't seen this covered yet so here it goes....
If you ferment your primary out lets say to .996 or so, rack to bottling bucket, prime with sugar and bottle...will it take longer for your brew to carb since you fermented all the sugar out? Or will it carb quicker if you bottle it at 1.005-1.010 and again prime with sugar?

I've been looking at a lot of carbing threads and haven't seen this covered yet so here it goes....
If you ferment your primary out lets say to .996 or so, rack to bottling bucket, prime with sugar and bottle...will it take longer for your brew to carb since you fermented all the sugar out? Or will it carb quicker if you bottle it at 1.005-1.010 and again prime with sugar?

If you prime and bottle at 1.010, the bottles will probably blow up fairly quickly.

blow up as in bottle bombs or carb up quickly? Sorry just making sure so I don't get my face blown off!

ok now i'm confused. I lot of guys on here talk about bottling at around 1.010 for a semi dry cider. Do they not bottle carb theres as they would get bottle bombs? Or whats the best course of action to take?

thanks for the help I'm new to this and I'm trying not to blow anything up!!!

ok now i'm confused. I lot of guys on here talk about bottling at around 1.010 for a semi dry cider. Do they not bottle carb theres as they would get bottle bombs? Or whats the best course of action to take?

thanks for the help I'm new to this and I'm trying not to blow anything up!!!

Correct. Either the cider is completely, totally done fermenting as proven by SG readings over time, or it is fermented out completely and then stabilized before sweetening to 1.010. It's not able to be carbed then, as the yeast have been neutralized. Then the bottle can't blow up.

If you want a sweet carbonated cider, there is a sticky on bottle pasteurizing that would be worth a read.

Thanks Yooper! I've read a great deal on that sticky and its a lot of good info. It's just a lot to take it all at once so its safer just to double check before I dive in!

Latest posts

Back