So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not this weekend, but maybe next. I brewed a tripel last winter, and while good, it didn't have the crispness and esters that I like from the style. |I think it was from fermenting too cool - it was low 60s, which works well for me for other styles, but I want to try to keep this one up at 70 or more.
Behind that I want to try a saison. similar in that I want it fermented higher.
Only issue with both of these is that I don't have the vienna malt on hand - I have some munich, Crystal-10 and -60, on top of pils and 2-row. I also want to use different yeast - I have the high-grav trappist for the tripel, but I want the saison yeast, probably T-58.

Kegging and cleaning up for a double brew day tomorrow.. Wheat Amarillo IPA a-la Gumballhead and a surprise cabinet-cleaner with leftover grains that I am unsure what I have (need to start labeling things better!)

Had to skip my last "scheduled" brewday since I was busy, so doubling up with the next week off. Got an DIPA & marzen to do. Also gonna help out at a local place one of the days.

I’m doing a 6g AG batch of Emellise DIPA with my daughter tomorrow..
I’m weighing out and milling the grains today plus filling my HLT so we can get an early start Sunday morning.

Not a brew day, but a bottling day. WCIPA brewed with Voss.
54463081-5163-44AB-8D17-7839966258EA.jpeg

Going to rebrew the Belgian Golden Strong Ale I did last month to enter it in my first homebrew competition . Looking forward to it!

My first “mostly” mash (more grain than extract) in my new igloo HLT/MLT going into my new (to me) Spike Flex+. I call it my FrankenBitter because one time I ordered the wrong ingredients for a a Best Bitter and made it anyway and liked it. It’s also my first 5 gal batch. Missed my most of my numbers and the OG is .010 low but I learned a lot and had a blast. My parents are in town and I got to walk them through the whole process which was pretty fun too.

Belgian golden strong brew was a success. Nailed my target gravity exactly and flavor was good heading into the fermenter. Yeast is pitched and time to let it do it's business!

2nd batch in the new mash tun; CIP for the sparge won't be here until Wednesday, so I macgyvered a big kitchen colander into it so I could lauter with the pump. Missed my preboil volume by a gallon (math and I aren't friends right now) but the dead space in the tun provided about a gallon to help it get back up there. 1.040 preboil out of 10lbs of grain? Oh hells yes I'll take that! Next weekend I'm going down to 8lbs to see what happens. Love not having a horribly heavy wet bag of grain to pull out, nice and easy now.

BIAB, an American Wheat Beer yesterday that I plan on flavoring with apricot. First time brewing a beer using malted wheat as the predominant grain (60%). Took a bit longer for the bag to drain, even had to squeeze the final quart or two which I rarely have to do. Efficiency took about a 5-8% hit, and that’s using a more vigorous boil than I normally do. Pitched Lutra yeast at 4:30 and no visible signs of fermentation by the time I went to bed. Checked at 7 this morning and a full krausen had already dropped a couple inches.

Just added 2.5 lbs of strawberries to the sour I brewed last week. Will do 2.5 lbs more plus some Basil in the keg next week. Brewing a Munich Dunkel tomorrow.

I will brew *something* because Wife will be out of town and I haven't brewed for a while. I have not figured out what exactly yet. My kveik yeast sludge in the fridge is over a year old, so I should probably try to wake it up today or tomorrow. (I have other yeast I can use if it's too far gone, but it will make me sad)

I will brew *something* because Wife will be out of town and I haven't brewed for a while. I have not figured out what exactly yet. My kveik yeast sludge in the fridge is over a year old, so I should probably try to wake it up today or tomorrow. (I have other yeast I can use if it's too far gone, but it will make me sad)
I bet it’ll be fine. I have some year old Kveik Voss leftover from an overbuild. Later this summer I plan on putting back on a stir plate and seeing if it’s alive. If so, and I think it will be, I’ll brew a grapefruit pale ale with it.

I bet it’ll be fine. I have some year old Kveik Voss leftover from an overbuild. Later this summer I plan on putting back on a stir plate and seeing if it’s alive. If so, and I think it will be, I’ll brew a grapefruit pale ale with it.
I have a big jar of 1 year old yeast slurry that is still nice and creamy off-white and smells good. I made some starter wort today and added a big spoonful of it. I also found two small jars of washed yeast that's 18 months old. (also Voss kveik) If I had more time (in case of a failure) I would have used one of them. I suspect they are still good too but might be slow to wake up.

I have a big jar of 1 year old yeast slurry that is still nice and creamy off-white and smells good. I made some starter wort today and added a big spoonful of it. I also found two small jars of washed yeast that's 18 months old. (also Voss kveik) If I had more time (in case of a failure) I would have used one of them. I suspect they are still good too but might be slow to wake up.
8 hours later I have bubbles. The year-old stuff is not just alive, it's still healthy. :ban:

8 hours later I have bubbles. The year-old stuff is not just alive, it's still healthy. :ban:
I find reports of yeast viability to be way more vibrant than common knowledge. I had a pack of Imperial that I was given for free by my LHBS that was almost 8 months old actually spill out of my 5l flask on a stir plate.

Started on 4/23

20210423_202206.jpg

20210423_101357.jpg

I've decided to brew kind-of a hybrid beer. British Strong Bitter x. American Amber. I usually brew 4 gallon batches, but a whole jar of dark invert syrup is too much for that but about right for 5. The invert is homemade. I'll use American malt, Golding hops, and the previously mentioned Voss kveik yeast. Whatever it is, it should be tasty -- and fast. About 5.5% ABV.

New furnace and A/C will be installed next weekend, so this weekend is dedicated (mostly) to cleaning out the garage and making space, not to mention a big dump run to get rid of a lot of stuff. Tested the CIP ball in the mash tun just a bit ago, needs a longer nipple to keep it closer to the mash; so after I get my chores done I'm making a quick trip to HD for that and a 16" oil drain pan for a heat shield. 20210710_074238[1].jpg20210710_074258[1].jpgThen tomorrow I'll REALLY test it with a batch of House Lager before we do the dump run. Can't wait!!

Back