5 Gallons in 1 Keg or 2.5 Gallons in 2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcows

Reaction score
I am in the process of brewing a stout. It will be one of 5 beers that I have on tap and I only drink it occasionally so it will take me some time to finish. I keg my beers and have plenty of extra kegs. I am wondering how taping a keg affects the quality of the beer? Does the movement, for lack of a better word, from drawing beer cause the beer to mature or loose quality more quickly? Would there be any advantage to putting the beer in two kegs....tap one and keep the other at room temp until the first was finished?

No, drawing off beer does not cause beer to change more quickly than it just sitting there. No, I don't see any advantage to splitting the beer into two kegs, unless the stout could use some time at room temp for further aging (warmer = happens quicker).

If you have the room in your kegerator, and all other things being equal, I'd put it into one keg.

Back