Recommendations for first-time kegger buying equipment...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigirishape

Reaction score
I've done a handful of extract kits and bottled them, but I bought a pair of used corny kegs from a local homebrewer-turned-big-brewer and cleaned them up. Now I figure it's about time to try kegging a brew. I know I'm going to need some gear to do so, and was wondering if anybody had suggestions on where to look for this gear.

I know I need a CO2 tank and a pressure gauge/regulator, and some tubing. I was looking at what Micromatic had to offer and came up with these two items...

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/regulators-pid-642.html
http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/gas-cylinders-pid-430A-5E.html

Anybody have a good site aside from Micromatic? Are those prices pretty normal for those items? Anything else you can think of that I will need?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer this newbie!

you'll need a tap also. A picknic tap setup can be had for cheap. check out kegconnection and they probably have a package deal on what you need

Dwain: I've tried Craigslist and only found some shady local deals, but I look almost daily. Hadn't thought of ebay tho, at least not for kegging equipment, but may give that a shot.

superjunior: I hadn't heard of kegconnection, and the packages seem good (was looking at the Premium ball-lock kit), but I don't need the additional corny keg yet. If all else fails, I will probably check them out again. Wish they had a combo package w/o a keg included. Thanks for the reminder too about the tap. Would be awesome to get everything kegged and carbonated only to realize I don't have a tap...would be right up my alley too.

Thanks guys!

superjunior: I hadn't heard of kegconnection, and the packages seem good (was looking at the Premium ball-lock kit), but I don't need the additional corny keg yet. If all else fails, I will probably check them out again. Wish they had a combo package w/o a keg included. Thanks for the reminder too about the tap. Would be awesome to get everything kegged and carbonated only to realize I don't have a tap...would be right up my alley too.

Thanks guys!

Just call KegConnection. Tell them what you have & what you want to end up with. They'll fill in the blanks. Easy Peazy! I have no affiliation with KegConnection other than that they have done me right every time I asked. Cheers!!!

Back