Help with high OG starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtBagRob

Reaction score
I made a starter last night so I could brew today and the yeast would be good to go by tonight when it was time to pitch. There was not fermentation at all in the starter when I got up this morning (about 14 hours after I made it). I decided to check the gravity to see if maybe it had fermented at all. I didn't get the OG last night but I guessed it to be around 1.030. This morning it was about 1.060, so I guess I boiled off too much last night, I'm not sure.... well, I can see a little activity now so I know the yeast is good but here is my question..... should I dilute the wort down a little with boiled water or is it too late? I know worth with that high of an OG will stress the yeast but maybe I caught it early enough? Let me know what you guys think, should I just let it go or should I try to bring the wort closer to 1.03? I already have some boiled, cooled water ready to go. I'm going to hold off brewing till Saturday so time isn't an issue anymore. Thanks!

1.060 will not stress it out that much. No need to water it down, the yeast has already acclimated to the high OG, doing anything now won't change a thing. Let it finish and proceed.

1.060 will not stress it out that much. No need to water it down, the yeast has already acclimated to the high OG, doing anything now won't change a thing. Let it finish and proceed.

I chewed on it for a while and that's what I decided to do. It seemed to be fermenting out ok, albeit a little slow. This morning it looks like its pretty much complete, I'll cold crash tonight and I'm considering stepping it up in size a little on Wednesday. I'd had a few beers already when I was making it and I'm wondering if I spilled some water out or something cause it came out being about 200 ml smaller than I needed :drunk: Thanks for the help!

Back