Best Combination for Clear Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelMNC

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew a quick extract blonde - 1 week in primary - 1 week in secondary - into a keg at 20 psi for a couple of days and done. I have:
  • the standard brew-bucket
  • the matching spigot'd bottling bucket
  • a ported 6g BetterBottle with SimpleFlo Valve and Racking Adapter
  • a non-ported 6g BetterBottle

Pour the cooled wort into ______________ for primary fermentation.
After one week, transfer beer to _____________ for secondary fermentation.
After one week, transfer to keg.

Many opinions wanted.
Please tell me how you'd fill in the blanks, and why, to obtain the cleanest/clearest end product.

Thanks...

...Mike

use English Ale yeast and whirlfloc in the kettle...that's a very short window of time to drop out any substantial amount of yeast so you need to use a strain with high flocc if you want it to fall and be anywhere near clear.

or use any yeast you want and filter it.

which fermentor you use has little to zero to do with helping your clarity...

BTW - pellet hop additions are in hop bags.

Ya know, I wasn't sure if I should use 1/2 a Whirfloc tab, or just use a strainer funnel. Thoughts ?

Good point on the yeast - I picked up a Wyeast 1272 American Ale II ( Medium-High flocc)
I'm limited to the equipment stated, and I don't have a filtering setup.
Thanks for the input.

BTW - pellet hop additions are in hop bags.

Ya know, I wasn't sure if I should use 1/2 a Whirfloc tab, or just use a strainer funnel. Thoughts ?

Good point on the yeast - I picked up a Wyeast 1272 American Ale II ( Medium-High flocc)
I'm limited to the equipment stated, and I don't have a filtering setup.
Thanks for the input.

If you want clear beer fast, you must use a highly flocculant yeast like S04. A whirlfloc tab is a must, as is a very good hot break and cold break. A strainer doesn't matter in the least.

If you want clear beer fast, you must use a highly flocculant yeast like S04. A whirlfloc tab is a must, as is a very good hot break and cold break. A strainer doesn't matter in the least.

Exactly. WLP002 or 007 drops out super fast too. American Ale II is going to be cloudy after 2 weeks, no doubt about it.

Equipment isnt really the determining factor, process is. You need to minimize the amount of haze forming proteins and polyphenols, and get the yeast to drop out quick and hard.

Well, agreed - and now I understand. A strainer really does *not* pick much out. I had used hop bags, but I thought there might be some gunk coming out, especially after whirfloc, but *no-oo*, the only thing that came out were a few hulls. Anyone need a cheap stainer ? :)

What I do is 10 days primary then cold crash for 3 days at 35 degrees. You may also try gelatin if you can cold crash.

I use a high flocculation yeast,& it takes at least 12 days to clear to a slight haze before bottling. Then,about 7-10 days before it starts getting really clear. Sometimes longer in primary.

Back