Brew is coming up through my airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrcoldone

Reaction score
I just want to make sure this is okay. My brew has been coming in through my airlock on my last two batches. It only happend when I poured my water shoulder high like the direction I got said to do. When I seen the airlock bubbling with brew in it I took it off and cleaned it then sanitised and returned it and filled with water again. It only did it for a day or so. Will I be okay? Or is this not a good thing? By the way I'm using a plastic bucket. Thanks.

Your solution to krausen foaming up into the airlock is what I did when this happened to several of my earlier batches. It hasn't happened for quite a while, because I learned that a somewhat lower fermentation temperature for my ales is better. That tends to keep the fermentation tamed down somewhat.

Yep, a blowoff tube is definitely the answer here, although a lower fermentation temp would mellow things out.

Fermcap works wonders as well. If you don't have any, you can use "Gas Pills" from the Grocery/Drug Store. Make sure they are Simethicone.

A blow off tube is the only way to go until it settles down!!! I do it on every batch, just to be safe. Besides it saves you the extra cleaning and pissed off SWMBO!!!

If you have one of those three-piece airlocks, you can just hook up one of your siphoning hoses directly onto the little tube-like thingy (don't know how else to describe it). I had my first "explosive" fermentation recently and didn't have a big enough tube to fit around the mouth of the carboy.

My brew closet still reeks of the hops that I had to scrub off the walls. Not that it's a bad thing...

Back