Underpowered Electric Stove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jescholler

Reaction score
My electric stove is underpowered for a 5 gallon boil. I know some of my options are:

1. Use a propane heater and ditch the stove.
2. Boil in 2 pots.
3. Insulate the pot.

I don't want to do #1 because I would have to brew outside. In Wisconsin, that's only fun about 6 months out of the year. I can't imagine not brewing December through May.

I tried #2 with my last batch, but I still wasn't getting a boil. Maybe I was too impatient. I really don't like this option either since it's more work on brew day.

I also tried #3 using this stuff around my pot:
McMaster-Carr
That didn't work either.

I've done extract brews with the lid 75% on and haven't detected any DMS. I would like to get into partial mashing, but I know the DMS will be more present.

Has anyone tried one of those pizza pans with holes in it to cover the pot? It seems like that would get the job done. It is similar to using the lid, but I would expect less condensation to drip back into the pot. With the lid partially covering the pot, it needs to be tilted and some condensation drips back into the wort.

This post talks a little about it, but I was just curious if anyone else has experience with it:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/my-beer-isnt-boiling-120230/index3.html#post1336038

I'm thinking it's my best option with my current setup. I'm willing to give it a try on my 1st partial mash and see what comes of it.

I brew outside in the winter. I live between Rochester and Buffalo NY. I use propane, but to each his own.

I feel like the bums hanging around a barrel burning stuff to keep warm.

Chiller works really well.
David :)

I've made my own insulator. I bought a roll (about 50' X 5', I think) of the material you generally see used for car windshields to reflect / keep out the sun. You can get it at Lowe's and I'd imagine Home Depot. It is expensive (about $50 if memory serves) but you can probably find other uses for it... I actually used it on a sliding glass door to keep heat in (winter) and heat out (summer) and it works wonderfully. And you may be able to find a smaller roll.

Basically, I wrapped the pot about 2" above the bottom and went all the way to the top and cut out around the handles. I then taped it with heat tape and then doubled that with a second layer. You can easily slide it on and off for use and cleaning.

To get around the long lead time for heating up the entire boil, I use a couple of (or 3) smaller pots and heat that to about 200 or more and then add those to the larger, 10 gallon pot. It takes a little longer to do than a proper propane burner to heat up but it does boil and I've done almost 7 gallons this way.

This has worked well and I would advise it if you want to do a full boil and remain inside.

...but to each his own.

I was just not made for winter in Wisconsin (or New York for that matter). I tried hunting a few years back, but always wished I could be watching TV in the warm house.

Brewing is great fun, but I'd rather be drinking a BMC in my warm house than brewing in 5*F weather outside. Maybe that means my homebrews aren't good enough :eek:(that brings us back to the partial mash problem).

Cheers!

I was just not made for winter in Wisconsin (or New York for that matter). I tried hunting a few years back, but always wished I could be watching TV in the warm house.

Brewing is great fun, but I'd rather be drinking a BMC in my warm house than brewing in 5*F weather outside. Maybe that means my homebrews aren't good enough :eek:(that brings us back to the partial mash problem).

Cheers!

Maybe you just need a brewhouse

I boil in two pots on a tiny stove top. I swear it's a fire hazard.... I have to stand watch so I don't boil over. I keep the lids on the pots and pull them off at the first sign of boil over. If the lid is left off the pot, it won't boil... so I end up lifting the lids for an hour..

but it works.

+1 for Barc's idea.

I had the same problem and the insulation solved it. I'm doing AG full-wort batches in two 5 gal. pots. Takes time, but I get full boils.

Good luck.

It really isn't so bad once you get it down and do it once or twice. Plus, the insulation really saves a lot of energy and I'd advise doing it even with propane so long as you can control the flame. And like Nugent is saying, splitting the batch up really helps to get to a boil. I just transfer to the larger pot before the boil really starts to get a "true" full boil.

My electric stove is underpowered for a 5 gallon boil. I know some of my options are:

1. Use a propane heater and ditch the stove.
2. Boil in 2 pots.
3. Insulate the pot.

I don't want to do #1 because I would have to brew outside. In Wisconsin, that's only fun about 6 months out of the year. I can't imagine not brewing December through May.

I tried #2 with my last batch, but I still wasn't getting a boil. Maybe I was too impatient. I really don't like this option either since it's more work on brew day.

I also tried #3 using this stuff around my pot:
McMaster-Carr
That didn't work either.

I've done extract brews with the lid 75% on and haven't detected any DMS. I would like to get into partial mashing, but I know the DMS will be more present.

Has anyone tried one of those pizza pans with holes in it to cover the pot? It seems like that would get the job done. It is similar to using the lid, but I would expect less condensation to drip back into the pot. With the lid partially covering the pot, it needs to be tilted and some condensation drips back into the wort.

This post talks a little about it, but I was just curious if anyone else has experience with it:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/my-beer-isnt-boiling-120230/index3.html#post1336038

I'm thinking it's my best option with my current setup. I'm willing to give it a try on my 1st partial mash and see what comes of it.

Bah, big propane burner does not mean you have to brew outside. Just use some common sense.........the danger is not CO, but lack of oxygen in a well insulated and airtight room. Do it near an open window and have a CO/smoke detector and you'll be just fine. I don't brew outside because it's to stinking hot in S. AZ! My brew station is on top of my pellet stove:

brewkettle.jpg

I've never had my CO/smoke/oxy detector go off once.

Also, you can buy a indoor cooker that uses the canisters........used for cooking with woks, etc. Big five carries one for 20 bucks, the cannisters are a buck each and take two for a full AG 5 gal brew day.

Back