Curing / smoking Wild Boar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildozarkwine

Reaction score
I butchered a wildboar yesterday and am curing the hams, shoulders, hocks, and side meat. I am trying 3 different cures, one I bought at the local meat market which they use for there hams ( salt, sugar, nitrates ), one is just brown sugar and salt, the last is rubbed with liquid smoke, then the brown sugar and salt.
I would like to cold smoke some of this but I don't have a cold smoker, yet. I do have access to a Brinkman smoker. Would it be safe to freeze some of this and later thaw and smoke it?

I butchered a wildboar yesterday and am curing the hams, shoulders, hocks, and side meat. I am trying 3 different cures, one I bought at the local meat market which they use for there hams ( salt, sugar, nitrates ), one is just brown sugar and salt, the last is rubbed with liquid smoke, then the brown sugar and salt.
I would like to cold smoke some of this but I don't have a cold smoker, yet. I do have access to a Brinkman smoker. Would it be safe to freeze some of this and later thaw and smoke it?

For cold smoking you can use some clothes dryer ducting to channel the smoke into a separate container in Alton Brown style. You should be able to maintain cooler temperatures that way.

I haxe an extre wood stove for a fire box and some ducting, just need to get a container to use for a chamber. I will probably get more hogs and am waiting to do a large batch at one time.

Back