Dryhopping in primary or secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jongrill

Reaction score
My first IPA is two weeks in and it's time to add the hops for dry hopping. The recipe I am following does not state if I am to dry hop in the primary fermenter or rack to a secondary. Any tips?

Thanks!

Secondary is the route I go. By then the pH is low enough and the alcohol level high enough that any micro-organisms left on them from the fields/processing facility won't be able to propagate in your beer.

I always used to secondary, but recently I've been dry hopping in the primary and cold crashing before bottling. Makes racking very easy, and transferring to the secondary runs the risk of oxidizing your beer.

I dry hop in the primary after all visible fermentation has stopped (like at the 14 day mark). Then I let the hops sit in there for a week, then transfer to secondary for a couple more weeks, then bottle. Always produces a nice clear, clean beer. Last time I dry hopped in the secondary I ended up with a crapload of hop trub in my bottles. Won't ever do it again...

On my IPA, I kept in the primary for 12 days, racked to my secondary and waited a week then dryhopped it. It will be 5 days this Sunday when I will bottle it.

Back