Will my kolsch starter work for an amber ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doubles

Reaction score
I built up a kolsch starter for a beer that I was not able to brew today because I did not get the ingredients in due to the 4th of July FedEx delay. I decided to do an American amber, and am wondering if it would work out to use the kolsch yeast, or should I just pitch 2 viles of Califonia ale I already have on hand? I'm guessing the kolsch would make it a crisp amber, but would it be a good idea? Thanks for any replys.

First, welcome to HBT. :)

Second, what's the target OG for the American Amber? As long as the Cali Ale is fresh, you should be fine pitching a single vial as long as it's under about 1.050. It's not ideal, but it should be just fine.

Otherwise, the kolsch starter would be an interesting choice for an amber, I'd be interested to see how it turns out! I say, if you already had a beer in mind for the Cali vials that you have, pitch the Kolsch and see how it goes! What hops are you using in it? It might clash a little if you're going heavy on Cascade or other typical American hops, but if it's mid-range (40-ish?) IBUs, it could be delicious.

Maybe someone else will chime in, I've not yet used Kolsch yeast, my first brew involving it is this coming weekend.

I know you will probably need a blow-off tube though! Everyone says Kolsch yeast is messy as all git-out!

Thanks for the welcome. The target is 1.055. It will be 39 IBU's with Centennials at 60 min and Simcoe for aroma and flavor. I am intersted in experimenting, just want to know if it is an all around bad idea or not.

P.S. I joined the Lincoln Lagers in May, so I could bring it to the August meeting.

Sounds good! Yeah, with Centennial and Simcoe, my vote is Go For It... should be darn tasty. :fro:
See you at the picnic! (Or this week's meeting!)

I've used the Kolsch yeast before it sholud be fine. Just call it an American Alt Beer:D Whether you decide to pitch the kolsch or the Cali, which by the way would work just fine especially if you are pitching two vials, it will turn out fine. Experiment and enjoy the results.

Cheers

Kolsch has been pitched, we will see. Thanks for the help guys, and see you this week Chriso.

Back