Steeping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewkinger

Testing... testing...is this frigger on?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Preparing to do a partial grain / extract Irish Red Ale this weekend. Am wondering after watching the video, when I am steeping the grains in the bag:

1) is says 20 minutes OR 170 degrees.
So i start to steep the bag of grains immediately?
Go for 20 minutes or until the temp is 170 degrees?
(i.e if it takes 14 minutes for my water to get to that temp, then I only steep the grains for that long?
I think that I read that above that temp, tannins start to get extracted and I do not want those.

Follow up question is in the video it looks like the person keeps the bag of grains moving around for the entire time. Is this a MUST DO??

Thanks

You will want to maintain the temperature as steady as possible.

170 seems a little high to me. When I was doing partial mash I would get the temperate up to and steady at 155 and then put in the grain bag. Then try to keep the temperate as steady as possible for 20-30 minutes.

As far as the type of grains, as a NOOB I am not sure of that (although I am keeping good records of that kind of thing so that I can brew my own recipes if I like what the kit produces.) Northern Brewer is very good at giving the amounts and types on the instructions. I just know that the recipe said to steep for 20 minutes or until the water got up to 170 degrees.
The video that they included seemed to show them putting the grain bag in immediately and moving it around CONSTANTLY and mentioning the 20 min/170 temp thing at least twice.

Ok, Northern Brewer Irish Red. I doubt there are any malts to convert in that but to be on the safe side I would add the grain bag to 150 degree water and start my 20 minute timer when it recovers back to 150. Keep the heat on low and let it come up to 160. If you don't make it to 160 in the 20 minutes that's fine, pull it at 20 minutes.

Back