Please check my plan.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMcPherson

Reaction score
I have 4 gals. of pasteurized local apple juice that is sitting in my garage fridge waiting to be a successful hard cider. I'm resisting getting started until I'm clear on the progression of the process.
This is what I have planned:

Pre-fermentation
1. Sanitize all equipment
2. Make note of SG reading of juice.
3. Add Sulfites to unpasteurized Must 24 hrs. prior to pitching yeast only if killing wild yeast is desired.
4. 12 hours before pitching yeast, add Pectic Enzyme (or fining agents).
5. 12 hours later, add yeast nutrients, yeast starter and aerate the Must.

Post-primary fermentation
6. Make note of SG reading of Must.
7. Maintain 50 PPM of Sulfites at each racking and before bottling to prevent oxidation.
8. Adjust Acidity and Tannin
9. Long term storage

Once I can get the TA and pH testing explained to me, I'll integrate that into my process.

Now I just have to pick my yeast.:smack:

I would really like to end up with something not quite dry and very neutral. I want to split it up and do some taste experimenting.

I'm contemplating letting one of the gal. batches open ferment in my cold smoke house. I wanna see if cold Sugar Maple smoke has any effect.

Uh huh... smoked cider :rolleyes:

Maybe add some bacon to it... everything is better with bacon...

You'll be pleased to know though that hard cider is the perfect compliment to BBQ. My grills are covered now for the New England winter, but come spring I'll break out some 7% berry cider that'll have aged 6 months and smoke some ribs. Yumm.

Are you a member of the Brethren? http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/

You don't think that it will work?
Will the fermenting process strip out the smoke flavor?
I cold smoke flour, butter, sugar, chocolate, cheese, vanilla beans... you name it, I smoke it.
Next season when I blend my own juice from apples, I may experiment with smoking the apples before pressing.
I believe that you're correct that cider will be a great compliment to BBQ.
That's why that I'm so hot about learning what I can in an expedited manner.
I really want to be able to add my own small batch cider to my menu.
My BBQ joint is smack-dab on the Virginia wine/cider trail.

I'm on the BBQ Brethren but hang out mostly at the Smoke Ring. Though, I tend to spend much more time cooking than reading.

Your process looks good. One thing, though - don't wait too long with that cider. Even though it's pasteurized, I have found that fresh local cider isn't very well pasteurized. It ferments in the fridge pretty easily, and it ferments out of the fridge like crazy.

For the yeast, a lot of people like Nottingham, but I wasn't thrilled with the results. I think US-05 works really well, and some people say that S-04 stops before it gets totally dry.

I just kegged a batch of Irish Red, and I am planning on putting a couple of gallons on the yeast cake, just to see how it comes out. I will probably backsweeten with some more fresh cider, plus add frozen concentrate and tannin. I'll aim for 5.5-6% ABV for a winter cider.

Thanks for the advice Eric.
I began a yeast starter today and will add that to the Must tomorrow night.
I'm using S-04.

Please give some detail about reusing a "yeast cake".
Does this mean simply using the yeast laden lees to generate another fermentation?

Thanks for the advice Eric.
I began a yeast starter today and will add that to the Must tomorrow night.
I'm using S-04.

Please give some detail about reusing a "yeast cake".
Does this mean simply using the yeast laden lees to generate another fermentation?

That's Exactly right. Think of a finished batch as a huge starter. I usually save some of that slurry in mason jars. You can wash it if you like. Then make a starter from some if your saved slurry. Yeast is usually near the top and darker sludge settles lower.

In some cases, I pour out most of the yeast from the fermented and then add new wort. Or in this case cider. Swirl to mix it up.

Its not perfect sanitation, so there is a risk, but small.

Did I make sense?

Are you making a starter from a new pack of s-04?

Are you making a starter from a new pack of s-04?
Yes.

In some cases, I pour out most of the yeast from the fermented and then add new wort. Or in this case cider. Swirl to mix it up.
Do you mean that you "pour out most of the Must" and then add new Wort/Must?
Is the active yeast somehow separated from the lees?
Aren't their concerns about reusing the lees? Aren't the lees removed from a Must because of the off flavors and colors that they contribute to the finished cider?
I was going to begin a new thread about yeast starters but since I have your attention, I will ask some questions now.
The procedure that I seem to understand is:
Pasteurize juice if not done so already.
Let cool to room temp if self pasteurized.
Add yeast nutrient.
Add yeast hydrated yeast.
Aerate.
Decant starter before adding to juice.
Add to juice.
Do I have the basics down?

I like your Blog. There are some great food articles.

Let me explain better.

Make a batch of cider (or beer). You then have racked the cider/beer out and bottled it, but the bottom of the fermenter is a sludge of yeast and other debris.

Some people go through a washing process of pouring this into sanitized jars, letting it settle and pouring it off into other jars, letting that settle, eventually ending up with more yeast and less debris.

Ignore that part for now.

If the batch is a yeast I plan to reuse, then I usually pour it into mason jars and put lids on it. Usually end up with 2 jars of yeasty slurry that settles into half beer/cider and half yeast & debris. I store this in the fridge.

When I make a batch using that yeast, I make a starter with some of the sludge on the bottom, growing up more yeast.

I have also just shaken it up and poured most of a pint into the fermenter, but most people (even me) will say that is bad.

On a couple of occasions, I have swirled the fermenter to get all the yeast and sludge combined, then poured off the slurry, leaving only about a pint or so in the fermenter. Then I add wort/cider to the fermenter, put an airlock on it, and wait.

This is ok to do if you make the next batch soon after the last batch. Don't leave it for weeks and think it will be ok to use.

Also note that this is after initial/primary fermentation, not after longer secondary. Those lees are probably dead yeast and other stuff you don't want.

Does that make sense? Please understand that I am saying this is A way to do it, not the BEST way to do it. It's an easy shortcut that has worked so far, but will eventually end up with a ruined batch for me.

Also, you really don't need to make a starter with S-04. That pack is ready to go for a normal size and gravity batch. There are lengthy arguments for and against rehydrating in a cup of water before pitching. I just add the dry yeast to the fermenter.

As for making a starter, you have it down. Depending on the size of the starter, you might just pitch the whole thing rather than decant. It will definitely help get started quicker that way.

Glad you like the blog! I try to update on Tuesdays and many Thursdays.

BTW, what's the permit situation for you making your own cider to sell in VA? I think it would be great with BBQ, and definitely would enhance what you have to offer. Your web site looks like you do catering mostly? Do you have a restaurant or shop where people can get to-go food as well?

Let me explain better...

...Does that make sense?

Please understand that I am saying this is A way to do it, not the BEST way to do it. It's an easy shortcut that has worked so far, but will eventually end up with a ruined batch for me.

As for making a starter, you have it down. Depending on the size of the starter, you might just pitch the whole thing rather than decant. It will definitely help get started quicker that way.

Yes... that really clears some things up.

Ah yes, I've begun reading some about washing and slanting.
So if what you describe is a good quality shortcut, what is the full fledged over-the-cliff method?

So decanting is at least partly dependent on starter size?

BTW, what's the permit situation for you making your own cider to sell in VA? Your web site looks like you do catering mostly? Do you have a restaurant or shop where people can get to-go food as well?

From what I understand currently, my beer/wine licence will cover me. I will only have to pay simple sales tax as long as I stay under a certain limit of gallons sold. There is a big drive on here to encourage the small batch cider/wine small business ventures.
I do private on site catering. Mostly whole hog events at weddings for those looking for that rustic style event that has gotten so popular here in the Central Va. horse and wine country.
I also run a country store/BBQ take-out. I raise poultry and bees so that I can offer their products. I also stock beekeeping supplies, poultry feed and other backyard homesteader products.
I would LOVE to add small batch cider and an old fashioned soda fountain to my store.

Yes... that really clears some things up.

Ah yes, I've begun reading some about washing and slanting.
So if what you describe is a good quality shortcut, what is the full fledged over-the-cliff method?

So decanting is at least partly dependent on starter size?

From what I understand currently, my beer/wine licence will cover me. I will only have to pay simple sales tax as long as I stay under a certain limit of gallons sold. There is a big drive on here to encourage the small batch cider/wine small business ventures.
I do private on site catering. Mostly whole hog events at weddings for those looking for that rustic style event that has gotten so popular here in the Central Va. horse and wine country.
I also run a country store/BBQ take-out. I raise poultry and bees so that I can offer their products. I also stock beekeeping supplies, poultry feed and other backyard homesteader products.
I would LOVE to add small batch cider and an old fashioned soda fountain to my store.

Wow, you have quite the operation going! If you incorporate some of your honey in the cider, you'll definitely have something that sets you apart :)

There are a lot of opinions on yeast washing. One method is to pour out the slurry into jars, then let it settle for about 20 minutes. The idea is that the heavier debris will settle out first, but the yeast will still be in suspension. (If you let it settle completely, you'll eventually see 2 or 3 layers, one that's darker and thicker on the bottom, then a lighter, cream-colored layer on top. Sometimes two layers that are different shades.)

After about 20 minutes, you decant the liquid into another jar and let that settle again. You should get mostly creamy yeast with less debris.

Some people go even further and add distilled water so that you eventually end up with mostly yeast in mostly distilled water. Some argue that alcohol is a better protection for the yeast than water.

Personally, I think that each time you transfer, you run the risk of introducing more yeast or bacteria that you don't want, so the less you move it around, the better your sanitation is.

You can then store the yeast in jars in the fridge. Again, lots of opinions, from "use it within a week" to "indefinitely." My experience is that I have saved yeast for a year, then made a starter and grown it up to ferment a 3 gallon batch. I've done that twice with a special yeast that I don't use all the time. With a yeast that I use more often, I have saved it about 3-6 months and done the same thing.

Over time, the yeast can/will mutate, so you probably should only go 3-4 batches before starting over. BUT remember that it's exponential:

You make a batch and save the yeast (1). You can split that yeast into 4 parts, and use one for each new batch (5). You split those and make 4 new batches (20). Your next run gets you 80 batches, and that's 3 or 4 generations, depending on if you count the first one. So your $4 pack of yeast made 106 batches of cider, which means less than 4 cents per batch.

I don't think that example is realistic, though! I usually get 3-4 batches before something goes wrong - too much debris, no room in the fridge, no time, etc.

When it comes to slanting, people are really being careful to select only the yeast that you want to save, etc. I wouldn't worry about that if you're using a standard yeast that you can buy cheap (like S-04).

And some people do mix their washed yeast with glycerin and freeze it for later use. If you're doing a lot of batches, this might make sense. But I would wait until you have some yeast that you really like before doing it.

One other thought, the WLP English Cider (WLP775) is pretty good. It seems like it leaves more apple flavor than wine and champagne yeasts do. It needs more attention to temperature, and it does make some sulfur that takes time to dissipate. But it seems to me like the cider is smoother and "mellow" if that means anything.

I've used Coopers, Nottingham, US-05, and WLP775, and I think we had the best results (and compliments) on the WLP775. I don't like S-04 in beer, although I do use it for one recipe that I make. I think it tastes nasty if the temp gets over 68, and it can be hard to keep it that low sometimes.

Thank you Eric and Mylar... you have both been a huge help!
I'll be focusing on rustic style "honey wine", Cyser and Mead so that I can market my beekeeping business.

Mead & Cyser places are the rare find now. I've been two three - Portland, ME, Greenfield, MA and outside Philly, PA. If I was going comm. that would be the direction I'd take. Lotsa hippy types potential customers.

I'll take Hippies over straw hat wearing, mustache waxing Hipsters any day. :smack:

I love walking into my local brew supply wearing my overalls and muck boots. :rockin:

Back