back sweeten question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstnten

Reaction score
I got 5 Gallons of apricot wine made from Oregon puree that ready to be bottled . It needs to be back sweeten IMO what should I use and how much.

I was thinking splenda but I have a ton of cornstarch from extract kits that came with primer.

:)

I got 5 Gallons of apricot wine made from Oregon puree that ready to be bottled . It needs to be back sweeten IMO what should I use and how much.

I was thinking splenda but I have a ton of cornstarch from extract kits that came with primer.

:)

cornstarch? you mean Dextrose (corn sugar) right? ;)

dextrose is highly fermentable - if used in a non stabilized wine (ie: the yeast still lives) it'll carbonate the beverage... not back sweeten it.
now if you are totally confident your yeast are totally dead (not dormant)
you could backsweeten with a fermentable... but if any of those yeast are still viable you'll end up with a mess unless you are using pressure rated bottles and closure methods.

Splenda used in moderation works well, and won't kick off a bottle fermentation.

Have you stabilized the wine yet?

If so, make a simple syrup of table sugar and water, add to clean carboy and rack wine on top. Let it sit for a while to make sure the yeast have been killed and then bottle. There are multiple calculators to tell you how much sugar you need to add. I use WineCalc.

If your wine isn't stabilized, you can stabilize by Stirring 1 campden tablet per gallon and 1/2 tsp Potassium Sorbate per gallon into 1/4 cup of cool water and add to the carboy that the wine is being racked into.

The yeast is proly dormant the room stays between 60-68f it's in a secondary now. with zero bubbles for four weeks.

I don't want to use camp or sorbate. so how much Splenda? 1 tbl spoon per gallon?

The yeast is proly dormant the room stays between 60-68f it's in a secondary now. with zero bubbles for four weeks.

I don't want to use camp or sorbate. so how much Splenda? 1 tbl spoon per gallon?

I used 3/4 of a cup to 5 gallons of hard cider to bring it to what I would call sweet, almost off dry. but my palate may not be the same as yours - I'd draw off a pint in a glass glass and add splenda in tiny amounts until you get the right sweetness level - then multiply that amount of splenda by 39 for 5 gallons ( 40 pints, less your 1 test pint)

I used 3/4 of a cup to 5 gallons of hard cider to bring it to what I would call sweet, almost off dry. but my palate may not be the same as yours - I'd draw off a pint in a glass glass and add splenda in tiny amounts until you get the right sweetness level - then multiply that amount of splenda by 39 for 5 gallons ( 40 pints, less your 1 test pint)
Good idea thanks!!!!!

Back