infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukeman9988

Reaction score
Has anyone had this before, infection?

I've only recently started using sanstar, does this leave a white film on the top?
Haven't tried it yet so I couldn't tell you if it taste funny. Just thought I would ask around before I risk more contamination

ForumRunner_20110919_193713.jpg

woohoo, that means a good brew might be coming, stick with it man

Bummer. I was looking forward to that. Well at least I'm 98% sure its from my auto siphon, looks like I wil be getting a new one.

If it tastes alright is it safe to drink?, or will I be messing my pants for days

Its about impossible to get sick from beer. But, funk beers take a long time. I'd look at the pellicle photos and do your best to id what kind of funk you have. Don't through out the autosiphon it is now officially a funk siphon. I'd also take this post over to the wild beer forum, let 'em know what kind of beer it was initially, put down better photos for help ID'ing the infection and get suggestions on how to move this one forward. It'll take time, but will be well worth it, if not for ending up with a good funky beer for the knowledge gained.

As the picture was hard to see, all responses are worth looking into. To me it looks like your beer has become oxidized. This happens when too much oxygen has been introduced to the beer during transfer (warm temps also increase oxidation). Be weary of how much head space you leave during bottling and be extra careful not to disturb the brew too much during. But, drink it anyway... like they said, you can't ever get sick from beer, but damn it can taste or smell bad.

TheHomebrewConnection

Bummer. I was looking forward to that. Well at least I'm 98% sure its from my auto siphon, looks like I wil be getting a new one.

Rather than another auto-siphon, I recommend this:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18863//Racking_Cane_-_Stainless_1_2"_x_26"

I always had trouble keeping a siphon going with two auto-siphons, and had much better luck with this. It's far easier to clean and sanitize than an autosiphon as well, and doesn't break easily [I've broken a few plastic racking canes as well].

@ TheHomebrewConnection: Your response does not make sense as oxidation in beer is not visible. Oxidation happens over time when oxygen creeps into the bottles or package and makes the beer taste like cardboard/paper but has nothing to do with the way a beer looks, especially during fermentation. In fact, you need oxygen in your beer at the start of fermentation as it promotes yeast growth, and you cannot over oxygenate by siphoning, only by using pure oxygen with a diffusion stone will get that to happen. In several beginning brewing books they encourage you to shake the fermentor in order to introduce oxygen. To really tell if its infected, give it a taste in a few days, if its sour, then you have an infection... simple as that.

true, tho the only aeration you are to do is before pitching your yeast, if transfer to secondary and allow too much o2 in it can happen then too... or to bottles... or improperly sealed bottles. most beginner books tell you to never let o2 in after aeration.

TheHomebrewConnection

KAMMEE said:
@ TheHomebrewConnection: Your response does not make sense as oxidation in beer is not visible. Oxidation happens over time when oxygen creeps into the bottles or package and makes the beer taste like cardboard/paper but has nothing to do with the way a beer looks, especially during fermentation. In fact, you need oxygen in your beer at the start of fermentation as it promotes yeast growth, and you cannot over oxygenate by siphoning, only by using pure oxygen with a diffusion stone will get that to happen. In several beginning brewing books they encourage you to shake the fermentor in order to introduce oxygen. To really tell if its infected, give it a taste in a few days, if its sour, then you have an infection... simple as that.
Your right, I don't believe there are any visible signs of oxidation besides possibly affecting color of light colored beers.

I will give it a taste tomorrow to see if it is sour or not and go from there

Back