Saison Table Sugar ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadguyry

Reaction score
Im still very new to brewing and even newer to all grain and Im brewing a Saison soon and I keep seeing forums and recipes that say add table sugar to dry it out. Now when it comes the amount that should be added to a 5 gallon batch i see alot of 15% and 10% what is the % in reference to so i can measure it out.

Thanks ahead of time

They are measuring their sugar as a percentage of the total fermentable ingredients. So if you have 8lbs of malt and 2bls of sugar, that'd be 20% sugar.

I really wish someone told me that. I just brewed a saison with .5lb of sugar and French Saison. My final gravity was 1.000

I'm literally drinking the sample that I just transfered to the keg thinking: damn this beer is gunna be dry

Still smells great

deadguyry said:
I have the wyeast 3724 belgian saison will it be ok to add it to that?

You should use sugar with that strain. It's notorious for stalling out and then picking back up with warmer temps and time. I'm using the same next weekend but also pitching Brett.

...what is the % in reference to so i can measure it out.

I would say it loosely refers to weight. Anytime I factor in an adjunct that is not affected by efficiency I calculate how much it represents as a percentage of fermentables.

If you figure it by weight for an all grain batch, 10% sugar is actually going to be 14-17% of your fermentables. For an extract batch your talking 10-13%. All grain varies based on mash efficiency, extract on if it's DME and/or LME.

I would say it loosely refers to weight. Anytime I factor in an adjunct that is not affected by efficiency I calculate how much it represents as a percentage of fermentables.

If you figure it by weight for an all grain batch, 10% sugar is actually going to be 14-17% of your fermentables. For an extract batch your talking 10-13%. All grain varies based on mash efficiency, extract on if it's DME and/or LME.

Now that I think about it, that's the way I do it too, but you explained it a lot better than I did.

Back