A fruity stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mscott987

Reaction score
I just opened a stout that has been in the bottle for about a month and it has a slight fruity, citrus hint to it. I know I have read somewhere that there is a reason for this but I can't remember. Can someone enlighten me?

It could be the hops you used, it could also be the yeast or the fermentation temperature. My thought would initially be the fermentation temperature. Too high a temperature (say 70F+) will give you unwanted fruity esters from the yeast. If you post your recipe and fermentation temps we could say for sure.

The high 70's + ferminatation temp sound right. Keeping the ferminatation temp down has been a problem for me. I have a studio apartment with only a window unit for AC. These hot August months don't help. Thanks for the reply.

What yeast did you use?

My Stout using the European Ale yeast was pretty fruity after a month, but mellowed very nicely in just another couple of weeks....

Back