Costco Kirkland Honey Article

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Costco-brand (Kirkland) items. I've used their organic apple juice for making Ed Wort's apfelwein, their extra large eggs are huge, and even their paper towels are top notch.

That reminds me... I need to go to Costco. BYE

Imma Meadmaking noob but...
Ive read you cant use most store apple juice because it has preservatives that interfere with fermentation.
Is store bought honey the same way?
Common Sense says ya'll wouldn't post if it were otherwise but I'm just askin out-loud.

You don't want to use juice that has sorbate in it. Honestly, I don't think I've seen a single bottle of juice at the stores that has sorbate in it. Usually it's only vitamin c.

I use store bought juice and honey all the time.

Scott

Just get the perservative free juice and you won't have a problem. Organic should always be preservative free. As for honey, I can get 5 gallon pails of it from Dutch Gold for around $120 a pail. I don't know what price cost-co has so I don't know if it is better or not.

I think the Costco brand is $12-$16. That's for a 5#.
The equivalent in your Dutch honey is cheaper.

I've used Kirkland honey for a number of meads, though usually melomels or some sort of spiced mead. I don't think I'd use it for a traditional mead, but it works good for anything you're adding flavor to with fruit or herbs. As far as the apple juice, I've also made Ed Wort's Apfelwein a few times using Kirkland apple juice and it has always turned out great.

Back