Keg Polishing 101

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElevenBrewCo

Reaction score
Well since im a newbie and all of this i figured i would document everything i do. I found on some Keg polishing threads were old and could not see all the pics so i figured i would update it a bit.

Heres my normal standard beat up keg.

2010-12-02_18-24-01_166.jpg

Supplies i bought from lowes.. NOTE** I went to lowes three damn times in the same night to find those polishing sticks! i read bobbys thread and they are there just nowhere near the gatorite pads or buffing pads. Just keep looking and you will find them.
I bought the finishing pads for 8 bucks(2 pack),buffing pads for 4 bucks(2 pack), and 2 polishing sticks for 2.50 each. Used an angle grider with cord. If you dont have an angle grider i saw gator pads came out with a kit for drills. Comes with finishing and buffer pads in one pack.

2010-12-02_20-13-52_749.jpg

Heres where i broke it down into 3 sections so you can see the progress.

2010-12-02_20-47-25_85.jpg

....and the final product. Its not 100% it was late and i was rushing the buffing process up so it still has buff marks on it. I used one finishing pad, one buffer pad, and 3/4 of a polishing stick.

2010-12-02_21-38-19_647.jpg

Hope this helps for any future projects. Feel free to ask any questions.

So what's the process??? Never heard of a polishing stick. You can use an angle grinder to cut the top of the keg too right? Might have to invest in one.

I havnt cut the tops off yet. Most people use ange grinders and make a gig to make a perfect cut.

The process ia simple and easy. Get your finishing pad to scuff the metal then polish with buffer.As for the polishing sticks they look like big sticks of lipstick.(seen in pic in square tube) you get you buffing wheel turn the grinder on, put the stick up to the pad so it applies to the pad. Then start buffing

Scratching it with the finishing pad takes about 30 -45 min. Buffing is more tedious because you have to go slow so maybe 2 hours tops. Worth it though. Bling bling!!

from the other polishing thread I recall two different compounds being used. I notice you have two different finishes, but only one compound. was just just the difference of the pads you used?

-=Jason=-

The ome on the right is the finishing pad its a light grit but does a hell of a job and one the left is the buffing pad used with the polishing stick. It did its job. Some people like to got heavy grit then light then buff. How i did it works fine

How do you keep yourself from getting covered in polishing compound. I did most of my keggle, but stopped because the mess was not worth the effort. That stuff was EVERYWHERE.

Haha yea there is no easy way i was green by the time i was done had nice compound boogers fom breathing it in too. Its somewhat of a dirty project

Back