northern brewer surly furious extract clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hophopenstein

Reaction score
i have been brewing for a couple months now but am still a noob to all this. I made the rookie mistake last night of transfering my surly furious clone from primary to secondary with out ever checking for readings. It was only in the primary for a week. Once i started siphoning i took a reading it was at 1.020. the og was 1.064, did i screw this one up. Also had a ? about the dry hopping, directions say dry hop for two weeks in secondary. But i have read other books and articles that say leaving the hops in for to long causes grassy vegi flavors. Whats a good length of time for dry hopping?

If you get a krausen then you transferred too early but you are probably fine either way. I did the same thing once and it wasn't a big deal, just made clean up in the secondary a little more messy. I usually transfer after five days in primary but check my S.G prior, 1056 or Us-05 usually gets the job done in that time period even with the temp held in the low 60;s.

I've dry hopped for 2 weeks and not had any off flavors with my dead ringer clone from northern brewer so you should be fine there as well. If you want to bottle it after 10 days if you are worried about off-flavor then that probably won't be a problem either.

i've dry -hopped IPA's for 4 weeks before, no grassy taste :)

You are worried about your first batch and I am sure you moved it at the right time. Don't worry about it! :)

Back