Wedding Beer Plans/Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSURaider41

Reaction score
Alright everyone! I am getting married October 5, 2012. In honor of the wedding I am planning on brewing an Oktoberfest style beer. I will be getting some labels made and having them at the wedding, sharing them with friends and family, etc.

I am definitely going to be needing help with the recipe. Please point me in the right direction on some good 5 gallon, all-grain recipes.

Also, I have been researching different recipes and am starting to get the picture that I am going to have to do some lagering on this style of a beer. I was hoping to get into lagering eventually anyways, so another question I have is, if I want to buy a mini-fridge for my lagering facility, what size mini-fridge will I need to get to fit my fermentation bucket? It's a standard 6.5 gallon.

Lastly, will an Oktoberfest style brew last for a year or so? I am hoping to cellar a couple of the bottles so that my future wife and I can share while eating that 1 year-anniversary cake piece. If it can last that long, any tips on cellaring the brew to make it last?

I think you may be a little late for an Oktoberfest beer. Mine has been lagering for over 5 months.

Might look into doing a pumpkin ale or something like that

I would try something that won't shock your BMC guest too much, maybe a cream ale or pilsner.

Last year I brewed up 20gal for my wedding, I used some blue bottles that I got from midwest supplies on sale and labeled them.

I then purchased silk-screened glasses for my guest to pour their beer in with a doodle similar to our invitations, they took them home as favors:
Lots of different styles, I used a 16oz, leaves just enough head space after pouring the bottle.
http://www.discountmugs.com/nc/personalized-glassware/702/16oz-libbey-pub-glasses.htm

ITT: people who suck at reading

Edit: and a slippery edit from mredge73

Edit 2: No idea on the fridge question. It's not something I have experience with. As far as a recipe, Biermuncher's OctoberFAST is quite tasty. He built it for ale yeast fermented cool, but I did it with lager and it was great! It will definitely last a year if you take care of it... I just cracked a bottle of last year's the other day.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/biermunchers-oktoberfast-ale-ag-39021/

I wouldn't brew an octoberfest for 2012 yet. Make it this winter sometime. 4-6mo of lagering is plenty.

Yeah, I'm not planning on brewing it yet. I am trying to plan the beer out so I get the recipe correct and get the timing down. I was thinking probably January or February being the brewing time.

Back