Flavors/feel when Coriander added?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FxdGrMind

Reaction score
Ok, I only found 6 returns from my search and none discussed the flavor or feel when Coriander is added.

So what does it add to a brew?

I'm modifying a recipe that I have brewed before and just modified by adding 2 oz of orange zest. So now I'm adding 1 oz Coriander powder (got it at the store for $0.98!!) to see what it might add to the party as the latest addition of orange zest has truely brought some depth, fruity and sweetness to my M&J but it's still not quite there.

So if you add Coriander to your recipe's how does it change your brew?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

the coriander has a orange-drink smell/taste that helps round out the orange flavors.

I have only used coriander in conjunction with orange peel. So on its own I am not completely sure.

Take an easy hand with the coriander. 1oz powdered will be far too much unless you *really* like coriander. I use .75oz of whole coriander in a wit- I lightly crush it and add it to the last 5m of the boil. The coriander flavor is noticeable in the finished beer, but not overpowering.

It's the same as adding it to food, it's a spice, so it imparts a certain flavor to the beer/food. It along with the pepperyness of grains of paradise and citrus from the orange peel is a pleasant taste/smell combination it Belgian Wits.

But it doesn't do anything to the "feel" of the beer.

Back