What should IPA taste like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktar

Reaction score
I finally sampled my Coopers extract kit IPA last night. It's bee in the bottles for s
2 weeks and spent a month in the carboy prior to that.

The beer has a pretty fruity smell and a very bitter taste. The only IPAs I've drank have been pretty mass-produced types like Keiths so I'm not really sure what it's supposed to taste like. I don't think I've noticed this bitter of a taste on a beer before. Is this normal? Any thoughts?

Are you drinking it from a chilled/frozen glass or one at room temp??
Give it at least another week in bottles before chilling one down for 3-4 days and trying it again (in a room temp glass)...

I've not used any of Cooper's kits, so someone that has will need to chime in about how it should taste...

an IPA should be firmly bitter, with a hop driven flavor and aroma. It's really a showcase for the hops, with the malt playing a backing role.

What hops did you use, at what times?? That will determine what you get for hop character in the brew...

Personally, I can't enjoy high IBU ales... I find that ales with an OG of under 1.065, with IBU's above 45-50 are just too bitter for me. I can't drink DFH 60 minute IPA... Had one pull off a glass of it, and that was it. Couldn't drink anymore. Thankfully, it was a small amount in the glass (sampling) so I didn't toss more than an ounce (or so)...

The beer has a pretty fruity smell and a very bitter taste. The only IPAs I've drank have been pretty mass-produced types like Keiths so I'm not really sure what it's supposed to taste like. I don't think I've noticed this bitter of a taste on a beer before. Is this normal? Any thoughts?

hate to be the one to break it to ya man, but Keiths is like an IPA like Coors is like a European pilsener. The only thing about Keiths that is IPA is the name they gave it.
True IPA should be a bit bitter and LOADED with hop dominint flavour
http://home.comcast.net/~wnevits/wizards/ipa.pdf should give you an idea of what it should be like. :mug:

Yep, it will be bitter, especially so compared to the domestic water they call beer!
I just did my first IPA, a Brewhouse kit, which I dry hopped using Fuggles. The beer has mellowed after 3 weeks, noticably less "grapefruit taste", but still quite more bitter than any other beer I have brewed.
I find it addictive, after I had my first one gone I found myself thinking "man was it really that bitter? Better try another to find out." :)

The beer is nice and clear with decent head. I think I'll let it condition a little more. I was just surprised by the bitterness.

Can anyone give me an example of a good IPA that I can buy at my liquor store? Something I can buy and compare mine to? Need a good control.

Freshness is a big key when tasting IPA. You could go to your local store and ask them what sells the best. Stone IPA and Sierra Nevada's "Torpedo" IPA are excellent examples and are available in most stores.

I know I may get a blasting for this but... For me I always bottle a couple of plastic bottles when I do IPA's and PA's so that i can gauge when the beers a carbed up, I do this so that I can drink my IPA's basically the minute they have carbed up and find they are at their best when they are fresh and young. If you age them to long that awesome hop aroma usually goes away. Anyways True IPA's for me should have lots of hoppy aroma, taste, and bitterness (basically bubbly hop water).

Freshness is a big key when tasting IPA. You could go to your local store and ask them what sells the best. Stone IPA and Sierra Nevada's "Torpedo" IPA are excellent examples and are available in most stores.

IMHO another good one is New Belgium's Ranger. It can usually be had for pretty cheap too compared to other IPAs.

Jackstar since you are in Ontario u won't have access to any of the beers mentioned but you should be able to get ahold of some mill st tankhouse ale brewed in Toronto it is a american pale al with 42 ibu. Some ipa's have much higher ibu's. Tankhouse is a great beer and it should be good beer to compare yours too

jason81 said:
Jackstar since you are in Ontario u won't have access to any of the beers mentioned but you should be able to get ahold of some mill st tankhouse ale brewed in Toronto it is a american pale al with 42 ibu. Some ipa's have much higher ibu's. Tankhouse is a great beer and it should be good beer to compare yours too

Yeah, I did a search at the beerstore but no luck. I like Tankhouse but didn't realize it was an IPA. Will buy some just to see.
; )

Yep, it will be bitter, especially so compared to the domestic water they call beer!
I just did my first IPA, a Brewhouse kit, which I dry hopped using Fuggles. The beer has mellowed after 3 weeks, noticably less "grapefruit taste", but still quite more bitter than any other beer I have brewed.
I find it addictive, after I had my first one gone I found myself thinking "man was it really that bitter? Better try another to find out." :)

I have never had a BH IPA... how do it really compare to the IPA specs.
I just did an Revvy APA with an OG of 1050, 8 SRM, 46 IBU using 5 1/2 ounces of hops and I haven't even dry hopped it yet. I have a similar one sent to a competition in Lethbridge AB.

BTW, welcome to another Newf.. I live very close to you in Mt. Pearl.
Cheers

Do you have any Wild Rose Brewery available over there? They're from Alberta, and they make a decent IPA. Now, having said that, it's the only IPA I've had aside from Keith's, so I don't know how it would compare to the IPAs the others in here have had.

Incidentally, if you can get your hands on their sampler, it's definitely worth it... they have six different brews, and two of each, in the pack.

Do you have any Wild Rose Brewery available over there? They're from Alberta, and they make a decent IPA. Now, having said that, it's the only IPA I've had aside from Keith's, so I don't know how it would compare to the IPAs the others in here have had.

Nope, I personally have never had one, but a former head brewer at Wild Rose lives here, and I have had his beer, just not one of his IPAs yet. We exchange brews, so I got to hit him up for a taste of one of his. Can't say I have ever had a IPA I didn't like. Red Racer was a favorite brew a buddy brought back from a visit in Vancouver last fall.

Can anyone give me an example of a good IPA that I can buy at my liquor store? Something I can buy and compare mine to? Need a good control.
I'm a huge hophead and I would say if your looking for a great commercial IPA I would reccomend smuttynose "finestkind". This is a solid IPA if you want a great DIPA go with either lagunitas maximus or Nugget nectar by I believe troeggs.

boo boo said:
I just did an Revvy APA with an OG of 1050, 8 SRM, 46 IBU using 5 1/2 ounces of hops and I haven't even dry hopped it yet. I have a similar one sent to a competition in Lethbridge AB.

Cheers

Lol. I'm another Newf transplanted to Ottawa.

Dogfish Head 60 minute, Lagunitas IPA, Stone Brewing IPA, Bells Two Hearted Ale, Sam Adams latitude 48, new Belgium Ranger IPA, Rogue Yellow Snow IPA. to name a few
dont just look in the grocery store for these beers, you'll find some of the better ones in a liquor/wine store.

From the Beer Judge Certification Program:

14B: American IPA

Aroma: A prominent to intense hop aroma with a citrusy, floral, perfume-like, resinous, piney, and/or fruity character derived from American hops. Many versions are dry hopped and can have an additional grassy aroma, although this is not required. Some clean malty sweetness may be found in the background, but should be at a lower level than in English examples. Fruitiness, either from esters or hops, may also be detected in some versions, although a neutral fermentation character is also acceptable. Some alcohol may be noted.

Appearance: Color ranges from medium gold to medium reddish copper; some versions can have an orange-ish tint. Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy. Good head stand with white to off-white color should persist.

Flavor: Hop flavor is medium to high, and should reflect an American hop character with citrusy, floral, resinous, piney or fruity aspects. Medium-high to very high hop bitterness, although the malt backbone will support the strong hop character and provide the best balance. Malt flavor should be low to medium, and is generally clean and malty sweet although some caramel or toasty flavors are acceptable at low levels. No diacetyl. Low fruitiness is acceptable but not required. The bitterness may linger into the aftertaste but should not be harsh. Medium-dry to dry finish. Some clean alcohol flavor can be noted in stronger versions. Oak is inappropriate in this style. May be slightly sulfury, but most examples do not exhibit this character.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium-light to medium-bodied mouthfeel without hop-derived astringency, although moderate to medium-high carbonation can combine to render an overall dry sensation in the presence of malt sweetness. Some smooth alcohol warming can and should be sensed in stronger (but not all) versions. Body is generally less than in English counterparts.

Overall Impression: A decidedly hoppy and bitter, moderately strong American pale ale.

Comments: N/A

History: An American version of the historical English style, brewed using American ingredients and attitude.

Ingredients: Pale ale malt (well-modified and suitable for single-temperature infusion mashing); American hops; American yeast that can give a clean or slightly fruity profile. Generally all-malt, but mashed at lower temperatures for high attenuation. Water character varies from soft to moderately sulfate. Versions with a noticeable Rye character ("RyePA") should be entered in the Specialty category.

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.056 - 1.075
FG: 1.010 - 1.018
IBU: 40 - 70
SRM: 6.0 - 15.0
ABV: 5.5 - 7.5

Commercial Examples: Bell's Two-Hearted Ale, AleSmith IPA, Russian River Blind Pig IPA, Stone IPA, Three Floyds Alpha King, Great Divide Titan IPA, Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, Victory Hop Devil, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, Anderson Valley Hop Ottin', Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, Founder's Centennial IPA, Anchor Liberty Ale, Harpoon IPA, Avery IPA

Dogfish Head 60 minute, Lagunitas IPA, Stone Brewing IPA, Bells Two Hearted Ale, Sam Adams latitude 48, new Belgium Ranger IPA, Rogue Yellow Snow IPA. to name a few
dont just look in the grocery store for these beers, you'll find some of the better ones in a liquor/wine store.

wont find any of those in ontario, ipa's are practically non existent here

I finally sampled my Coopers extract kit IPA last night. It's bee in the bottles for s
2 weeks and spent a month in the carboy prior to that.

From my experience of drinking microbrewery IPAs, they do tend to be bitter, probably one of the most bitter styles of beer. I did one kit IPA, a Blackrock East India Pale Ale, and it wasn't bitter or hoppy at all - not a bad beer but absolutely nothing like an IPA, more like the pseudo lagers that I brewed from the kits. So the fact that the Coopers kit turned out bitter seems like a good thing to me if you are after an IPA (as long as it's not too harsh). It should mellow a bit with ageing.

Cheers

Newfs are everywhere, especially if there's beer involved.:mug:

These are the specs for the BH from their site....

Colour: (Deg.Lovibond) - 14
Bitterness: 50 IBU
O.G.: 1.051-1.053
Malts: Munich, Pale 2 Row,Cara-pils, Carastan
Hops: Centennial- Bittering, Goldings- Aroma

I don't have much time for this hobby yet, but these kits are easy to do and make really nice beer. I really like the Stout they have. The last few I have done I have tweaked a little (different yeast/ dry hopping).

Back