Dry yeast in freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strider

Reaction score
Ok, my buddy when he was leaving today mentioned that he put his 2 packs of muttons dry yeast in the FREEZER! Lol, he could tell from my look that I didn't think that was such a hot idea. I wasn't positive though so said I'd get back too him. I know liqued w/o glyserin would be a goner, but thought maybe since no water to freeze and kill the cellwalls it may be ok. Sooo.., is he buying more yeast or is he ok?
Thanks
-John

With Munton's yeast, I'd be inclined to store it in the trash can. :rolleyes:

My understanding is that dried yeast can be stored in the freezer, for the reason you mentioned. However, I just keep it in the door shelf of my kegerator...it will keep a good long time there, a lot longer than I need.

Ditto, I think you could keep it in the freezer, but really there's just no need. It has a shelf life of something like two years IIRC.

Thanks guys
Is muttons really that bad? Should I advise him too keep them on hand as a emergency backup and get some us-05 or s-04?
-John

Thanks guys
Is muttons really that bad? Should I advise him too keep them on hand as a emergency backup and get some us-05 or s-04?
-John

No, keep the 05 and 04 around for emergency backup. Use it as a first choice too, by all means, but just keep a few extra of those too. I say toss the munton's.

Thanks guys
-John

Well, it has a bad reputation for low attenuation. I think their own literature warns about using it with all-malt recipes, as though it's really intended for the cheap kits that use a can of LME and a bag of sugar.

To be honest, I've never actually used it, so I probably should withhold judgment. However, I've used LOTS of US-05 and S-04 and can highly recommend both of them.

I do have a few envelopes of Munton's that I originally saved as a "backup." But as Coastarine says, when it only costs $1.50 or so, why not just keep extra US-05 or S-04 around as your "backup."

I used it in a pumpkin ale which was miserably under attenuated and ended up being just nasty to me. I found two friends who liked it, gave them a few growlers, and recently dumped the rest.

Thanks again, I'll let him know his options.
-John
PS. Those who have used it, did u pitch 1 or 2 packs?

I just got an True Brew IPA kit with the Muntons yeast 6g, and I have a backup pack of S-33 11.5g. You guys suggest I use the S-33 instead? The kit includes 6.6lbs LME and 1lb steeping grains. The last time I used that yeast I also got low attenuation.

Back