Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msppilot

Reaction score
I brewed a partial mash on Sunday and have had good signs of fermentation. The room I have it in is about 68 to 70 degrees. Tomorrow I am leaving on vacation for 10 days and want to turn the heat down while we are gone. If the temperature in the room drops down too much what are some of the implications? I thought about wrapping a blanket or sleeping bag around it to help keep the temperature up there. I live in Minnesota and the forecast for next week is highs in the 40's and 50's, but things around here can change fast. If the temp does drop too far, will I just be able to keep it in the primary for extra time?

By the time you leave, active fermentation will more likely than not already be finishing up. If it gets too cold, that might stall the yeast as they try to process intermediate metabolites like diacetyl or acetaldehyde, but you would be able to get things started again just by warming the temp back up. When you get home, give it a gravity read and a taste to see where things are. Nothing to worry about.

I think you will be fine. At a room temp of 68-70, the primary fermentation could've been closer to 80F and be done pretty quick. 68-70F room temp is a little on the high side for ale fermentation with no temperature control. I've been putting my carboys in our downstairs family room that stays about 60F and my ferm. temps have been great holding right around 65F. Depending on the beer, it may be a little fruity and need to condition a little longer to mellow but it will indeed be beer and be drinkable.

Back