Newbie Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvisali

Reaction score
Hello everyone...had a newbie question concerning bottling.

I am still about 3 weeks away from having to bottle, but wanted to purchase my glassware sooner rather than later.

I live in an apartment so size/space is always an issue. I figure that 5 gallons of beer is aproximately 640 ounces of beer. So instead of getting 48 bottles and bottling those, I thought I would get the following:

1 2 liter growler(64 ounces)
12 1 liter amber fliptops(total of 384 ounces)
12- 16 ounce amber fliptops(total of 192 ounces)

This would be aproximately enough storage for 640 ounces of beer. I know actual beer produced will be less than this but this combination cuts down on the actual # of bottles I will have laying around my place. My question is does bottling directly to bottles that are larger than a normal 12 oz standard size result in any carbonation issues? Will I have any problems if I go directly to the 2 liter and 1 liter bottles?

ANy help greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
EA

elvisali said:
Hello everyone...had a newbie question concerning bottling.

I am still about 3 weeks away from having to bottle, but wanted to purchase my glassware sooner rather than later.

I live in an apartment so size/space is always an issue. I figure that 5 gallons of beer is aproximately 640 ounces of beer. So instead of getting 48 bottles and bottling those, I thought I would get the following:

1 2 liter growler(64 ounces)
12 1 liter amber fliptops(total of 384 ounces)
12- 16 ounce amber fliptops(total of 192 ounces)

This would be aproximately enough storage for 640 ounces of beer. I know actual beer produced will be less than this but this combination cuts down on the actual # of bottles I will have laying around my place. My question is does bottling directly to bottles that are larger than a normal 12 oz standard size result in any carbonation issues? Will I have any problems if I go directly to the 2 liter and 1 liter bottles?

ANy help greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
EA

If you prime the beer with the correct amount of sugar or dme, then it doesnt matter what size your bottle is. That is a smart way of bottling if you dont have enough space.

I'm not arguing with the other post here, but I've had my share of carbonation issues. I've since realized that it had to do with evenly distributing the temperature throughout the batch of bottles (warmer temperatures expedite the process, cooler temps stall it). I have a couple of batches that aren't done conditioning and I haven't tried them yet with the new process, but with the old way of jamming them all into a cupboard I noticed that the larger bottles took longer to carbonate, and longer to condition properly. Take from this what you will.:drunk:

I have over 30 cases of bottles and literally over a dozen different bottle styles. I have to keep a crate for each style.

Since you are pressed for room I would HIGHLY recommend that you stick to one size bottle - 12 oz. because you can stack longneck-sttle bottles in their cases. That's the smallest amount of room I can think of.:D

Latest posts

Back