Equipment & Bacteria Brewing? Lacto!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GweedoeBrew

Reaction score
South of Boston, By way of West Virginia!!
I am going to do my first Bacteria based beer here in the next month... A fruity Berliner Wiess... Maybe Cherries or peaches or something...

I have been doing lots of reading... But one thing that isn't clear is how brewing effect my equipment and other beers..

If I put the Lacto into the secondary... should I use glass over Better bottle?

Once I have put bacteria in a carboy... can I use it again for a regular beer??

Should I Keg or Bottle... I think that I am planning to bottle this anyway... but if I did Keg could I use that Keg ever again for not bacteria based beer??

What about my hoses, Auto syphon, bottling bucket, etc... All of those will touch the lacto based beer... should I be worried about possible future issues with those items and regular beers?

Finally... What about having another carboy going next to my Lacto based beer... I usually have a few carboys going at a time... I know everything is supposed to be air tight... and I have never had contamination issues while brewing... but... how strong is that Lacto... and should I worry about that???

I don't want to brew 1 sour beer... if it is going to kill every beer I ever make again.... that sounds over board when I say it, but I think it...

dont use plastic with Lacto if you can avoid it. from what i've read it is extremely hard to get them off the plastic. so much so that people have gone so far as to have dedicated plastic parts just for Lacto brews.

as far as glass or metal goes normal sanitation will work just fine.

as far as glass or metal goes normal sanitation will work just fine.

Yup, just bleach bomb the sucka's rinse really well, then sanitize normally. I have a different set of plastic tubing for the wild, buggy brews. I've never had any bugs leap from one carboy to another. If you are open fermenting though, maybe a different location will work.
Let us know how the BW goes, it's a great beer that a lot of folks get freaked out to brew. :rockin:

Are you using pure Lactobacillus D. or grain innoculation?

The way I look at it.

Brewing Bucket- $8
Auto Siphon- $6
Tubing- $2

Not ever having to worry about Brett killing any of your other beers- Priceless

I've put it in about a day before I pitch the regular yeast. Nice and sour then. You can keep it really warm (lacto likes it around 80-90) and not worry about fusels from the Sacc.

I've heard it helps to build a big starter for the lacto, but I've never done it and it sounds like it takes a while (like two weeks or so) There is some thread about this around here, let me snoop a minute

Back