HBT NFL '08 thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't understand though... I moved to California from NYC. I don't have DirecTV so I watch Giants football games on nfl.com through the stupid box score crap. Actually seeing a Giants game on TV, let alone in person when they are playing Philly or Dallas is a DREAM!

Oh man that must be brutal. I sort of felt your pain this weekend because I was in Boston visiting my lady friend. The pats game was on at the same time and both games were being carried by CBS so it wasn't being broadcasted :mad: But my girlfriend called up some bars and found one that was playing the game!!! I was so excited. When I got there the guy at the door was like "what did Boston get taken over by Giants fans?" so I told him it wasn't on TV so then he said "Oh so you guys didn't have a coice but to come out".

I was expecting a lot of **** from Bostonians cause I was wearing my superbowl champions t-shirt (I do everytime I am in Boston) but it was great because there were so many giants fans at the bar.

Well, here I was ready to start a new thread celebrating Millen's exit from the Lions, but I see that it was covered here.

The two happiest days for a Lions fan: when a new coach/GM comes in and when he goes out. :D

Well, here I was ready to start a new thread celebrating Millen's exit from the Lions, but I see that it was covered here.

The two happiest days for a Lions fan: when a new coach/GM comes in and when he goes out. :D

This is only half the battle though. Now they need to clean the rest of the house and REALLY start over for '09.

Somehow someone already posted a video on Youtube of Millen leaving Allen Park with boxes of his things. Dude does not look happy:

watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU&feature=related

You know, I don't particularly care for the Lions, but this is good news. Millen was a joke. He never should have gotten the job, and what exactly was their justification for keeping him on? The Lions are just in bad, bad shape... what exactly do you guys have to build around? Kevin Smith? I mean, he's pretty much sucked since "Chasing Amy" :D

You know, I don't particularly care for the Lions, but this is good news. Millen was a joke. He never should have gotten the job, and what exactly was their justification for keeping him on? The Lions are just in bad, bad shape... what exactly do you guys have to build around? Kevin Smith? I mean, he's pretty much sucked since "Chasing Amy" :D

Here's my totally uneducated opinion on what the Lions need to do:

• Start Drew Stanton (2nd round pick last year from Michigan State) after the bye week to find out of the kid can play or if you need to spend your high '09 draft pick on a QB.
  • Start talking to potential candidates who are out of football immediately. Floyd Reese (former GM of the Titans) Ted Sundquist (Former GM of the Broncos), and Bill Cowher.
  • Immediately start talking to teams about trading Roy Williams and John Kitna. Get as much for them as you can. If no one will give up a 1st for Williams, keep him and let the future GM decide whether or not to franchise Roy Williams.
  • At the end of the season, fire Tom Lewand (the Lions COO and cap guy), Martin Mayhew (asst. GM), then begin the process of obtaining permission to talk to Scott Pioli and Kevin Colbert, and bring in Mike Holmgren.
  • Let the GM fire the entire coaching staff and the entire scouting staff. Let him bring in his own coach (my vote is for Jason Garrett, OC and asst. head coach of the Cowboys).
  • Cut almost everyone. Keep Jason Hanson, Drew Stanton, Kevin Smith, Ernie Sims, Cory Redding, Calvin Johnson and maybe a few other random recently drafted players because they're cheap, then start REALLY rebuilding. Plan on being terrible for 2 years while building through the draft and adding key people via FA.

Here's my totally uneducated opinion on what the Lions need to do:

• Start Drew Stanton (2nd round pick last year from Michigan State) after the bye week to find out of the kid can play or if you need to spend your high '09 draft pick on a QB.
  • Start talking to potential candidates who are out of football immediately. Floyd Reese (former GM of the Titans) Ted Sundquist (Former GM of the Broncos), and Bill Cowher.
  • Immediately start talking to teams about trading Roy Williams and John Kitna. Get as much for them as you can. If no one will give up a 1st for Williams, keep him and let the future GM decide whether or not to franchise Roy Williams.
  • At the end of the season, fire Tom Lewand (the Lions COO and cap guy), Martin Mayhew (asst. GM), then begin the process of obtaining permission to talk to Scott Pioli and Kevin Colbert, and bring in Mike Holmgren.
  • Let the GM fire the entire coaching staff and the entire scouting staff. Let him bring in his own coach (my vote is for Jason Garrett, OC and asst. head coach of the Cowboys).
  • Cut almost everyone. Keep Jason Hanson, Drew Stanton, Kevin Smith, Ernie Sims, Cory Redding, Calvin Johnson and maybe a few other random recently drafted players because they're cheap, then start REALLY rebuilding. Plan on being terrible for 2 years while building through the draft and adding key people via FA.

at first, i read this and thought "wait! your plan is to comepletely gut the entire organization?"

but now that i think about it, that's what it will take.

1) Get new Owners
2) Get rid of the Dome.
3) Get rid of the Dome.

Plus 1. You are doomed to failure until you start playing in the elements like real men. Ignore the St Louis and Indy anomaly of a championship win.

1) Get new Owners
2) Get rid of the Dome.
3) Get rid of the Dome.

I completely agree, I was really disappointed when I found out the new stadium was going to be a dome. Just across the street is the Tigers' stadium (open) and I think they wanted the dome so they could host other events (plus the SuperBowl--you'll never see a SuperBowl played in Green Bay).

Let the GM fire the entire coaching staff and the entire scouting staff. Let him bring in his own coach (my vote is for Jason Garrett, OC and asst. head coach of the Cowboys).
Garrett's great, and thankfully I don't think he's going anywhere. He could already be in a head coaching job this year, but he knows he's next in line as the Cowboys head coach. The Cowboys made it clear that that's why they made him asst. head coach and are paying him WAY more than any other OC in the league.

I'm glad the Bolts seem to have put things together. They looked good and in sync Monday night.

"GO CHARGERS"

I like on ESPN everyone is saying how the great teams in the AFC seem like they are the Chargers and the Broncos. Their reasoning behind this is that their offense scores a lot of points. But what bothers me is that yeah the chargers offense is scoring lots of points but they still lost two games. Ok they should have won them due to some bad call but that doesn't change the fact that their deffense allowed the other team to score as many points as they did. Teams that have allowed the most points this season are the Broncos, Chargers, Rams, and the Lions... Deffense wins championships.

NFL Stats: by Team Category

And yeah they beat the jets monday night, but they are the jets and they still let them score 29 points!

I'm not going to trust San Diego until they prove it in the playoffs. They always seem to implode at the least-opportune times. Losing Merriman, as much of as ass as he is, is a huge deal with respect to them being in the league's real elite.

You feel the same about Dallas? Haven't won in the playoffs with Romo.
(since Aikman?)
That's how I feel about them. I think any team has to prove their greatness by winning when it counts. Dallas hasn't done that since the Troy/Emmit/Michael era.

You're absolutely right. The G-men came up HUGE when it counted last year. They beat who I thought were the two best teams in the league during the playoffs (Dallas and NE). That made them great.

Spark, I totally thought you'd throw the GB (all of 'em) losses to DAL in my face. I won't feel like GB has taken a step up until they get that monkey off their back.
(Notwithstanding the win at Lambeau a few years back.)

MM_H_B:

It's loads easier to be the team that won, that wasn't supposed to, than the team that's supposed to. NYG will find that out this year.

MM_H_B:

It's loads easier to be the team that won, that wasn't supposed to, than the team that's supposed to. NYG will find that out this year.

Yeah maybe but you know what I heard allll pre-season??? The NFC East is gona be all about Philly and Dallas. Philly and Dallas are gona be great, New England is gona be on the top, and the Giants have lost to many players to compete this year. Don't get me wrong Philly and Dallas do look pretty good.

I just still get the feeling like the Giants still aren't suposed to win. Since they lost the players that they lost people were just counting them out.... again. That is why I cannot wait for the Dallas and Philly games!

Thing is, it's not just San Diego's own implosions, Norv Turner isn't exactly known for his postseason successes either. They're a team that's tended to let their emotions get the best of them at times (at least that's my theory).

Thing is, it's not just San Diego's own implosions, Norv Turner isn't exactly known for his postseason successes either. They're a team that's tended to let their emotions get the best of them at times (at least that's my theory).

The post season play has always been the most frustrating thing about SD. They get to the playoffs then fall apart. I agree their "D" needs to improve but they had some nice pickoffs Monday. Or maybe that was just Favre. Time will tell.

The Chargers will miss Merriman. The Rams 'Greatest Show on Turf' is the only recent exception to the defense wins championships mantra. The Chargers can't stop anyone, and they haven't played anyone yet with a great defense.

Yea, Wade Phillips never gets out of the wild card round. Point?

True.

Fact is, outside of the G-men there are big question marks about the playoff viability of ALL the major contenders. Who's won titles recently? New England's not winning this year. Indy's in trouble. Philly/McNabb choked in the Super Bowl. Dallas has Wade, San Diego has Norv. Green Bay's got an essentially first-year QB. Pittsburg's got a new coach. Denver; we'll have to see if Culter can keep this pace up all season.

I'll be damned if I can figure out who's the favorite at this point!

I know who the favorite is to get the first pick in next year's draft. :D

If they're smart, they'll trade that pick unless there's a QB available who's clearly worthy of being #1 overall. Anther Peyton Manning, not another Alex Smith. Detroit needs help in so many areas, taking one guy at the very top of the draft isn't going to help as much as accumulating a lot of guys later in the first and in rounds 2-4.

If they're smart, they'll trade that pick unless there's a QB available who's clearly worthy of being #1 overall. Anther Peyton Manning, not another Alex Smith. Detroit needs help in so many areas, taking one guy at the very top of the draft isn't going to help as much as accumulating a lot of guys later in the first and in rounds 2-4.

Trading the first pick is not a matter of being smart. Everyone wants to trade down, but very few teams are willing to pay the price it takes to move up to the #1 spot in the draft.

I agree completely that trading the pick is the best solution to fill the roster with new and talented players, but it takes 2 teams to trade. In order for someone to want to move up there's going to have to be one hell of a player there and I don't see that this year.

Some likely top 10 picks are Matt Stafford (QB), James Laurinaitis (LB), Malcolm Jenkins (CB), Knowshon Marino (RB), Tim Tebow (QB), Vontae Davie (CB), Beanie Wells (RB), Michael Oher (OT) and Phil Loadholt(OT)... none of which, right now, are players that a team is going to trade up to get.

I just saw this on break.com and had to share it. No wonder Frerotte is now starting! :D :p

86%20Throwing%20Instructions.jpg

Agree with you, OhioB. The #1 pick is an albatross in most years. Paying huge cash to an unproven college kid just saps the resources and takes up cap space they could use to sign free agents or pay their lower picks, which are more likely to play and contribute anyway. It's like the death spiral of the NFL, very hard to break out of. Pay huge money to guy who turns out sucky and doesn't help you win. Lose all of your games and get saddled with #1 pick. Pay huge money to guy who turns out sucky and doesn't help you win. etc.

Hey what’s up with Chad Johnson and this stupid sh*t he is saying now about the Cinci and Dallas game?

"Since Dallas is the greatest organization ever" he is going to honor them by scoring and out of respect will go kiss the Dallas star on the 50 yard line! What a *********...

Does anyone know how long he has left on his contact? Is it just me or does he wants to kiss ass to the Dallas organization and get signed?

I think he's hoping to get traded to Dallas before the Oct. 14th trading deadline.

Personally, I hope that one of the idiots now in charge of the Lions can talk the Cowboys into giving up a 1st round pick next year for Roy Williams. His contract is up after this season and the Lions are going to suck royally this year. Why not get an extra 1st rounder for the new GM to work with to rebuild the team?

Could Chaz Ocho live with being #2 behind TO? If so, could he live with being #2 behind Randy Moss? Belichick's always loved him, and NEXT year (no in-season trade), a receiving corp of Moss, Chaz, and Welker (with Brady back) would probably be the greatest in NFL history.

Latest posts

Back