Toasty/Nutty/Burnt Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eboeing

Reaction score
Relative newbiew in the formus here.

Yesterday, I posted my first recipe, which is basically my house beer.

What I wanted to acheive when I first started making that recipe was a toasty/nutty/almost burnt quality in its maltiness, and I do that with a pound and a half or so of Victory.

Just curious: any suggestions here about other malts I could use to get a similar (or maybe even more intense) effect?

(I've stayed away from smoked malts, becuase I think that would impart something a little bit different from what I want.)

You could go for black patent, roasted barley, or debittered black. All will impart roast and if you use enough, burnt flavors. Look for anything highly kilned to achieve that flavor.

I do a "pale ale" that has just 1.5ounces of roasted barley in it. It imparts that burnt flavor but it is very subtle and way in the back. Very nice.

Toasty: Munich. Dark Munich also kinda gives some nuttiness, too.

Nutty: Chocolate (a little), pale chocolate, Crystal 80ish

Burnt: Roasted barley, black patent (but be soooo careful with black patent)

TL

Special Roast, Victory, Brown malt - all of these will impart a nutty, toasty quality.

Burnt? I'm not so sure. Black patent can taste burnt, but only in what I - and apparently Tex Law - would call excessive amounts.

Me, I don't go for burnt. But I do love me some nutty toast. ;)

Bob

I forgot about Brown malt! How did I forget about Brown malt!

I do think Brown malt goes pretty far beyond toasty, though, unless you are very restrained with it. I'm a more "medium" guy when it comes to toast, though. Good stuff, nonetheless!

TL

Back