Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm assuming it is double XP this weekend for COD?

I haven't purchased it yet but I will. Not sure when. Since I didn't pre-order it, I guess I don't get the Nuketown map, at least not right away. That level is always a blast. I loved it when they had matches that played only the Nuketown map.

Seems almost pointless for me to buy it now since Fallout comes out in a few days and that will consume all my game time until I beat it (other than taking breaks to perpetrate random acts of violence in GTA5 that I can add to my mayhem ledger).

Finally beat Balck Flag. Trying out the Freedom Cry.. But not as gripping as the main story so far. It will kill some time before the New Tomb Raider comes in on Tuesday. Darn kid keeps me from getting as much gaming in as I want to lol

Picked up Black Ops 3 copies for me and my boys. Currently downloading the upgrade. Three Xbox Ones downloading at the same time isn't ideal.

BlizzCon was very entertaining.

I can't wait to try the new Cho'gall hero. I'll have to give him to my friends to earn the extra gold.

my wife is playing EQ2 and I'm here with you a-holes. wtf is wrong with me?

I kind of miss EQ2. Although, I spent way too much time making furniture and buying homes. Derp. Sold my EQ1 account two years ago for a cool grand. One of very few games that is still a challenge.

Wife picked up Black Ops 3 for me while I was out Friday. Put some time into multiplayer on Saturday. The free-running momentum movement system is really fun compared to the AW mess that was boost jumping. They definitely took elements from multiple games, it seems, but I welcome it. If they aren't going to go back to a solid shooter and have to have lasers and fancy weapons, might as well give players an "ultimate" meter and a crazy ability.

Gameplay is very entertaining. Some people are impossible to kill and can really ruin a match, but you'll eventually find a good lobby. The only pitfall so far was just that it has normal connectivity issues being the first few days. There's a lot more challenges to earn and zombies looks mildly entertaining, usually not something I'm into.

It will be tough trying to juggle whether to put time into Black Ops or Fallout.

Target has a buy 2 get 1 free deal going on this week.

Im getting SC LotV, Yoshi Wooly World, and Fallout 4 tomorrow.

Target has a buy 2 get 1 free deal going on this week.

Im getting SC LotV, Yoshi Wooly World, and Fallout 4 tomorrow.

Oh really? I didn't need to know about this. Bye bye free time. :p

Edit: Although SW Battlefront isn't out until next week, and that's on my list right after FO4.

FallOut, Battlefront, Doom, ReCore, Dishonored 2 and maybe even Tomb Raider. And this is after having already dropped down for BO3, and Halo 5. And I still haven't finished Witcher 3.

My wallet is going to take such a beating this year.

Standing in the Fallout 4 line for a second time. Need to refund it because bills need to be paid :(

*cry *

Played for about 4 hours of Fallout 4 tonight. Didnt even make a dent. This game is awesome!!

Need to get a little more wrecked watching the $#!+show of a debate before I play it tonight. If you take a drink every time someone tries to interrupt, you'll get $#!+faced in no time.

I'm going to be a raving drunk trying to take on the wasteland of Boston Mass!

I really want to get Fallout, but figure with whatever that shopping "holiday" is coming up.. maybe I can get it discounted. Played a few rounds of Black Ops 3 last night. Finally unlocked the combat knife and combat axe. Oh how I missed them. I'll take 15 kill / 15 death rounds using those weapons and getting entertaining kills over spray and pray 30/10 rounds any day.

I'm not quite sure there is anything much more enjoyable than hitting a camping sniper in the face with an axe after he waylays your team. That and giving people the old 'okie doke' with the combat knife after they chase you into a room, just to be gutted when they come around the next corner. Good times.

Uh excuse me, have you NOT played any of the previous fallout games?

Yeah, I have and I wasn't a fan of running for half an hour without seeing or finding anything.. just to come across an abandoned house to loot cartons of cigarettes. I like the game, but saying it's good doesn't say much.

The beer I make is good. Does that make you want to try it?

I loved FO 1 & 3 (still haven't played 2, yet). FO:NV was meh, but seeing all the rave reviews on FO4 almost makes me want to drop the coin on a new gaming console or PC.

Yeah, I have and I wasn't a fan of running for half an hour without seeing or finding anything.. just to come across an abandoned house to loot cartons of cigarettes. I like the game, but saying it's good doesn't say much.

...yes, yes it does. :)

I also fear the wrath of my wife so I'm playing Fallout NV and pretending its Fallout 4.

I have been an avid video gamer for 25 years and I know what I like; however as you have stated what I think is good may not be what you think is good. Some people only play Madden, COD, Angry Birds and Candy Crush; they probably won't like Fallout. It isn't a casual game that you pick up and play for 10-20 minutes at a time.

This game is really about character progression, adventuring, continuity, and hoarding sweet loot. Combat is not the focus, running around aimlessly looking for cartons of cigarettes is. Bethesda is the best in the business at satisfying your need to explore and discover in a virtual world. If you enjoy the journey more than the reward, this is the game for you.

To me the Fallout franchise is superior to the Elder Scrolls games and I will likely spend hundreds of hours uncovering post-apocalyptic Boston's secrets.

Bethesda is the best in the business at satisfying your need to explore and discover in a virtual world.

All of this which you said... I understand. I am a huge fan...

I was just looking for some insight as to why this game is fun, or what they may have done. Things that people like. You know, conversation and stuff since this is a forum and all. I heard it compared as being the Fallout equivalent of Skyrim vs. Oblivion.

All good though. I'm sure it is great, was just wondering why. I'll find out soon enough.

I was just looking for some insight as to why this game is fun, or what they may have done. Things that people like. You know, conversation and stuff since this is a forum and all. I heard it compared as being the Fallout equivalent of Skyrim vs. Oblivion.

All good though. I'm sure it is great, was just wondering why. I'll find out soon enough.

Bethesda's Fallout shares the same engine as the Elder Scrolls games so people, characters, menus, crafting, reactions, bugs, and glitches are similar. So comparing FO4 to Skyrim is a good start. I just scratched the surface on FO4 however I put 188 hours into Skyrim and never finished the main quest. Still a bit early for me to cast judgement or really give any insight on why it is fun since I have done little exploring. Right now it is a bit of work trying to figure out the mechanics. I spent a large amount of time playing around with the new features like settlement building, scrapping junk, power armor crafting, and the new weapon/armor crafting system.

Bethesda's Fallout shares the same engine as the Elder Scrolls games.....................I spent a large amount of time playing around with the new features like settlement building, scrapping junk, power armor crafting, and the new weapon/armor crafting system.

Yes. I get it. What I meant was:

FO4 is to FO, what Skyrim was to Oblivion. The same games, but Oblivion was old and tired compared to the polished monstrosity of a world that was Skyrim. So, I was just curious as to what makes FO4 so shiny now.

Dammit all this Fallout 4 madness is making me so jealous. If I had the cash to take a month off and buy a new console I'd be knee deep in it right now.

As it stands I have to sustain myself by finally playing through New Vegas which had been sitting on my shelf for at least two years now. :)

I played some Farcry 3 over the weekend... shot some dudes in the face, ran around. Wing suit.

3rd time playing through, this time on Master difficulty and using zero syringes, or upgrading powers (outside of what is needed for double takedowns etc.). Also, not activating radio towers (no map) and all indicators (grenade, detection, etc.) disabled. It's a little more fun again.

Baller status.

I don't get to game much any more, so I'll never get FO4.

Yes. I get it. What I meant was:

FO4 is to FO, what Skyrim was to Oblivion. The same games, but Oblivion was old and tired compared to the polished monstrosity of a world that was Skyrim. So, I was just curious as to what makes FO4 so shiny now.

It is easier to compare it to Skyrim; there a 7 year gap between FO3 and FO4. Bethesda has also introduced concepts that are part of the Elder Scrolls games into Fallout; FO4 is Skyrim with guns.

On first impressions the biggest changes between FO 1-3 and FO4 that are most noticeable are the voiced protagonist, the power armor mechanics, the crafting system, the scrapping system, Diablo/Borderlands like loot system, and the new leveling system. I am hopeful that they keep the franchise's unique charm and dark humor.

My wife and I have been replaying New Vegas waiting for 4 to buy a new system. We're going to pull the trigger (we decided PS4 over One) on Black Friday/associated sales.

I completely finished 3 (all available tasks completed via multiple characters) and it was one of my favorite games ever. NV is not nearly as good. But same for Skyrim. Loved Skyrim.

For all the bugs in Bethesda games (I didn't get far in NV the first time due to a main quest killing glitch) i love em and keep coming back for more.

Okay let me try to answer your question.

I have been a FO fan since the first one. Heck, I even enjoyed the text based wasteland game though I couldn't figure it out for a long time. FO1 was good, FO2 was a slightly more polished 1. I didnt play brothehood of steel or tactics, but rejoined for 3. 3 was good, but as you said sparse. It is akin to Oblivion though Oblivion had a lot more going on. It did seem to set the environment of it being a wasteland, as how can you be in a post apocalyptic world where you are always running into people? It is also pretty cool how equipment (at least at first) is sparse and hard to find.

With the move to 4 they added in a huge crafting system, as well ad built in a expanded version of the Hearthfire DLC for Skyrim. I put in some hours playing yesterday/this morning and really enjoyed everything. It is nice having a use for every little bit of garbage that you can pick up. The battle mechanics are improved as well. They also revamped the power armor system where instead of just being only the most powerful armor in the game, they are all that plus run on expendable power supplies. Another change was to the perk system which in my opinion does improve character building. All in all, aside from the fanboyish shiny excitement that another episode of this game came out, it does have the strength of being more than a revamping of the same storyline (though that is there as well. man leaves vault all on his lonesome with a quest, meets hideous monsters, raiders, and his trusty dog sidekick, violence ensues, lots of go there kill that or pick this up quests, and a 50s music soundtrack).

On the downside, I will admit that Bethesda does need to work on their game engine. As the same Bethesda bugs and quirks persist as in every other game of theirs. Granted the character skinning does not look as great as it can and should, but this game has been in the works for 5 years now. I hate the fact that since I am a pack rat I am always overburdened.

Coolest thing though is that I hear that Mods will work with XBox, and there is talk that the PS version will possibly get them as well.

Oh yeah and best of all is all the humor. The jokes, the references to other games, monty python, etc.

Back