Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcl700

Reaction score
I'm making a wine kit that I have made many times before it's a nice merlot, but I always started it in a bucket and following the directions filled it to the 23 L mark. This time I just used a Carboy and added more water, the kit strongly recommends not topping up. So I checked the s.g. And it was 1.050 it's supposed to be 1.085-1.090. Soo I added 4 cups of sugar and now it's at 1.110! Yipe!! Now what can I do? Or what's going to happen? I thank you in advance for any advice !

I'm making a wine kit that I have made many times before it's a nice merlot, but I always started it in a bucket and following the directions filled it to the 23 L mark. This time I just used a Carboy and added more water, the kit strongly recommends not topping up. So I checked the s.g. And it was 1.050 it's supposed to be 1.085-1.090. Soo I added 4 cups of sugar and now it's at 1.110! Yipe!! Now what can I do? Or what's going to happen? I thank you in advance for any advice !

Well, not much you can do now. I bet if you used the same kit that you just didn't stir enough when you filled it to 23L. The sugars are in the concentrate- they can't go anywhere so any low reading is probably due to inadequate mixing.

Four cups of sugar in a 6 gallon batch would only increase the OG by about .016 so the OG was probably just fine before you added the sugar!

1.110 is about 10 points higher than I like to start a table wine, but you're still within the table range ABV. It may take a lot longer to age out, if it finishes completely dry (16%!) but it might be ok if it doesn't stall out at a too-high FG.

Oh boy I'm smacking myself why did I mess with it lol
Well thank you very much! I don't think I mixed it well was just mindlessly making it.

Latest posts

Back