Does this yeast look okay to you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigE

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
first I want to say what a great site this is! I've been reading like crazy and watching tons of videos before I create my first batch. I just recieved a kit from Midwest brewing yesterday and I got the White Labs WLP001 ale yeast. It was shipped in a cool bag with a ice pack and I stuck the yeast in the refrigerator as soon as I opened it. I'm brewing my first batch tonight and I pulled the yeast to take a look at it. There seems to be a lot of sediment in the tube. Is the yeast okay? Did it survive the shipping? Thanks! :)

DSCN0271.jpg

Looks perfect to me, you just need to shake it up before you add it to your starter. You are going to make a starter, right?

Oh and when you do open it after shaking, be aware that that tube is under pressure, so it will woosh and may gush when you open it. People have had it spray all over when they didn't know.

LOL..thanks for the heads up on the pressure. I've been debating whether or not to make a starter for my first batch. I need to continue researching the steps and epuipment needed for that...I think for my first batch I'd like to get comfortable with just the basic steps first.

Thanks for the input guys!

LOL..thanks for the heads up on the pressure. I've been debating whether or not to make a starter for my first batch. I need to continue researching the steps and epuipment needed for that...I think for my first batch I'd like to get comfortable with just the basic steps first.

Thanks for the input guys!

FWIW, starters are a GREAT idea when using liquid yeast. There isnt a large cell count in that vial... yeah yeah, they ALL say that you can just pitch the vial, but be prepared for a possibly LONG lag time while the yeast reproduce prior to fermenting.

All you need to make a starter is some wort, or DME, or LME. Boil it in some water, cool it, place it in a container with some foil over the top and wait 24-48 hours

FWIW, starters are a GREAT idea when using liquid yeast. There isnt a large cell count in that vial... yeah yeah, they ALL say that you can just pitch the vial, but be prepared for a possibly LONG lag time while the yeast reproduce prior to fermenting.

All you need to make a starter is some wort, or DME, or LME. Boil it in some water, cool it, place it in a container with some foil over the top and wait 24-48 hours

+1 to this!!! It is simple and effective.

And it will save Revvy from answering an "airlock isn't bubbling post" :D

Well bummer....was hoping to try tonight but I'll research creating a starter a bit more before I do anything. Or would it be okay to simply use some of the wort I'm making tonight for the starter? Of course I'm assuming that having the unfermented wort in the carboy with some foil on the top for a few days is an okay thing to do while the starter does it's thing in another container....

thanks for the info guys....fell free to yell search n00b if you fell like it :)

Back