Wyeast Smack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iheartipa

Reaction score
My first batch using Wyeast Smack Pack. I apparently smacked it too hard and popped the package on the top right corner. A little bit of yeast has trickled out. Is it safe to assume it's contaminated?

It's safe to assume its not contaminated. Use the remaining yeast. Relax don't worry and all that...

My first batch using Wyeast Smack Pack. I apparently smacked it too hard and popped the package on the top right corner. A little bit of yeast has trickled out. Is it safe to assume it's contaminated?

Thank you kind brewer!

Was really looking forward to tackling this Tripel and was pretty bummed for a minute there.

I just used a Smack Pack for the first time yesterday. It took me four tries smacking it to get it to go.

I'm impressed!

How soon do I have to pitch once activated? Does it have to be pitched within 3, 12, 24, 48, et al hours?

natefrog255 said:
How soon do I have to pitch once activated? Does it have to be pitched within 3, 12, 24, 48, et al hours?

Within 24 hours would be ideal. You should be making a starter:)

Within 24 hours would be ideal. You should be making a starter:)

Yeah I thought about it but didn't have any DME and wanted to brew tonight. But ended up dozing off earlier and now I'm against the clock, so I don't know if I want to just wait until tomorrow.

The good news is I don't think I activated the pack. I hit it at 3 and again at 5 and I don't notice much swelling. Not sure if I like these activators or not...

EDIT: Per another thread it appears in order to swell it needs to be outside and not back in the fridge. Rookie mistake!

Latest posts

Back