Effect of temperature fluctuations on lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertmurphy

Reaction score
I'm currently fermenting a strong scotch ale with Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast. I let it sit in the primary for two weeks at 57F, then I transferred to secondary a few days ago. Ray Daniels suggests fermenting a strong scotch ale at around 55F in the primary for a couple weeks, then letting it sit in the secondary for a month or so at around 40F. I don't really have a good way to control a low temp like that, so I just put the carboy in the unfinished basement where the temp swings from 62F in the afternoons down to 45F at night.

How important is it to maintain a constant temp when doing this kind of cold conditioning?

With cold conditioning/lagering in general can I just go from the primary fermenter to bottles and lager them in the bottles? That would be more convenient, as you could more easily find space for the bottles in a fridge.

Latest posts

Back