Heating Strike Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cardog

Reaction score
If one were using kettles as thier MLT and HLT then what is the proper way to heat the strike water? I see most people heat water in the HLT then transfer to the MLT and dough in. What would be wrong with heating the water in the MLT? Any disadvantages?

Brew In A Bag is done all in one kettle, so I don't see anything wrong with that. I guess it's what ever works best for you.

I use coolers for my HLT and MLT so I don't have any experience with direct fire setups. However I don't see a problem with heating the strike water up in the MLT. The only problem I could see would be the potential for the MLT to keep heating up directly after turning off the burner, but that seems more of a minor inconvenience.

It would also depend on if you prefer to add the strike water to the grist or vice versa. I prefer to add the grist to the strike water so that set up sounds good to me.

If one were using kettles as thier MLT and HLT then what is the proper way to heat the strike water? I see most people heat water in the HLT then transfer to the MLT and dough in. What would be wrong with heating the water in the MLT? Any disadvantages?

You could certainly do that but if you are going to sparge you need to heat water somewhere and it certainly can't be the MLT at that point.

For any of my beers that require multiple rests, and it's not a decoction mash, I heat the grain and water through the various steps in my boil kettle until I reach my sac rest. After I reach the sac rest temp, I transfer everything (water/wort and grist) to my cooler mash tun and rinse the boil kettle of any grains left behind. From there out it's the same steps as a single infusion mash.

Latest posts

Back