Fermentation Freezer Discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamieT

Reaction score
Well now that the new brew rig is in the books and working like a champ, SWMBO has informed me that the spare bathroom I have been using for fermentation (aquarium water chiller in the tub) is no longer available for such uses... Guess I'll have to build a fermentation fridge....:ban:

Optimally I would like to be able to house 8 carboy's / better bottles simultaneously in a temp controlled environment.. This requires a space roughly 24"x24"x60" (20cuft).. I would prefer this to be a stand up unit (I have no issues building an internal frame to support the weight on the second level).. But I am having trouble finding a freezer with appropriate inside dimensions..

Anyone fermenting at this scale in a single stand-up unit?

If that were MY woman, I'd tell her to get her bish ass out there and buy me a freezer (with apologies to Eric Cartman).

Seriously, though, I am looking at doing the same thing by building a cabinet, insulating it with extruded polystyrene sheet insulation, and adding a cheap ($100) air conditioner with Love controller to keep it cool. I plan on using an existing wire rack shelving unit (36" x 16" x 54", IIRC) inside to hold the carboys. I think I can fit nine in there this way....

Here is what I ended up doing.. Picked up a 21ft3 Up right Freezer, Slapped on a Temp Controller, Broke out the Mig Gun, and whipped me up a little shelf action...

Browny Points for me!

Fermentation_Fridge.jpg

Latest posts

Back