Ipa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beanbagz1

Reaction score
i found this recipe on here, and i thought it looked great.. didnt hurt that the person who made it also said they had won two competitions with this ipa.

is 14 1/4# grain normal for an all grain recipe? i am going to attempt it using a somewhat BIAB method. please give me your thoughts.

mashing 4.5gallons at 154f for 60 mins, dunk sparging grains in 1.5 gallons after mash in 158F. will combine and start the 90 minute boil with 6 gallons. after 60 minutes into the boil the hop additions begin.

IMAG0273.jpg

Do not go by the 7 primary and 14 secondary schedule. Take gravity readings to make sure you have gotten to final gravity before transferring to secondary. Or, skip the secondary and leave the beer in primary for about 3 weeks.

Make sure you have enough wort for a 90 minute boil. I collect 7 to 7.25 gallons for a 60 minute boil in my setup for 5 - 5.25 gallons into the fermenter.

Do not go by the 7 primary and 14 secondary schedule. Take gravity readings to make sure you have gotten to final gravity before transferring to secondary. Or, skip the secondary and leave the beer in primary for about 3 weeks.

Make sure you have enough wort for a 90 minute boil. I collect 7 to 7.25 gallons for a 60 minute boil in my setup for 5 - 5.25 gallons into the fermenter.

i do take gravity readings, and probably shouldnt have even written down that part on the recipe. i was just writing what he had written. i only have an 8 gallon stock pot for the main BIAB mashing and a 5 gallon stock pot for the dunk sparging... between the two kettles, how should i separate the 7 gallons i am going to need to start? i am afraid that with 14# of grain i wont be able to get much more that 4.5 in the 8 gallon pot for biab..

anybody ever used the white labs california ale yeast? i bought the two vials as the creator suggested, but do you know why it would be necessary? if i were to make a starter would i even need a second vial? is there a benefit to pitching 2 full ones? the container said that they are capable of up to 1.070..

I use California ale yeast, if you're making a starter no need for 2 vials, save the other one it attenuated very well

beanbagz1 said:
i do take gravity readings, and probably shouldnt have even written down that part on the recipe. i was just writing what he had written. i only have an 8 gallon stock pot for the main BIAB mashing and a 5 gallon stock pot for the dunk sparging... between the two kettles, how should i separate the 7 gallons i am going to need to start? i am afraid that with 14# of grain i wont be able to get much more that 4.5 in the 8 gallon pot for biab..

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Great calculator to determine if you have the space to mash.

Back